Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial up connection problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Dial up connection problem

My new Dell Inspiron 1545, does not appear to have a hole the same shape and size  as the connection wire from the phone box on the wall, to the computer.....
I have a yellow cable with a connector that fits (same connector both ends) which I think is used when setting up the wireless router.
I am going away, (early in the morning) to a place that does not have wireless connection to the internet.... and I want to use "Dialup247" to keep in touch
Do I need to connect the yellow cable to the wireless router, and plug the router in to the phone line (also the mains) OR can I canibalise the yellow cable to connect to the "normal" bt extension type connector?

Router is a D-LINK DSL-2640B
12 REPLIES 12
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Dial up connection problem

Your lappy should have a network port, which looks like the image below. It is not the same as the phone line connector. You can't connect your computer direct to the phone line (unless you want to use a built in dialup modem). To get a broadband connection you will need a router. the yellow cable is almost certainly a network cable. Use this to connect the computer to the router, and plug the router into the BT socket.
Denzil
Grafter

OK, should have looked up Dialup 247 first, an dyou do want to use a dialup modem! Trouble is, few computer these days have them built in. You would have to buy a separate USB dialup modem.Something like <a href="http://www.cablesandmore.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=279">this</a>.
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Denzil,
Thanks for getting back to me.... Yup !  I have ONE of those connection holes.... the yellow cable fits a treat....
So I was correct, that I need the wireless router to go with me, and connect it to the laptop with the yellow cable, then the router to the phone socket,.
Just seen your add-on posting... but.... when setting up the wireless router, isn`t it the same thing as what you showed in the link?

Do I need to have the router switched on/ connected to the mains?  or is it just a "passive" junction box when used for dial-up ?
cheers
shutter
Community Veteran

ok... Just disconnected the wireless part, and tried to connect via the modem using the yellow cable, and it appears not to be the case..... so looks like I will have to visit a comp shop when I get there, to get me a little gizmo  (just in case, for next time too! !)
Thanks Denzil
Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

http://www.dialup247.co.uk/faq.html
What do I need to use dial-up?
In addition to your PC or laptop, all you need is a standard 56K or ISDN modem and a working phone line.
like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-56K-External-Dial-Up-Fax-Modem-V92%2fV90---SENT-TODAY_W0QQitemZ22041268451...
Denzil
Grafter

A dialup modem is not the same thing as a broadband router. The router does contain a modem, but it works on completely different frequencies. Your router must be powered up from the mains to work, but it can't connect to a dialup service.
You need to buy a separate dialup modem. It will connect to a USB port, not the network port.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Doesn't it have an inbuilt modem?
(just Googled it and the spec I read said it had, but they're not always accurate)
Denzil
Grafter

The specs I saw say it hasn't Smiley If it has it will look a bit like the network port, but it will have a telephone handset symbol next to it..
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

As in your earlier post (partly)  Wink
KenA
Grafter

Hi
It seems there's some confusion over the term "modem", hopefully this will clarify.
Modem is an abbreviation of modulate - demodulate, which is the process used to convert one type of signal to another.
There are two common types of modem.
1. Telephone dial-up modem.
Most older PCs and fewer new ones have one built in, and the connection socket often has a telephone handset symbol.  The cable has a RJ11 4-pin connector on one end and the other end is either a BT plug, or another RJ11 with a BT plug adaptor.
This modem requires to be told a phone number to dial, and when it connects it transmits audio noises between your modem and the modem at the other end (wherever you dialled).  You can't use the phone line for a voice call at the same time. 
2. ADSL modem
This converts the network traffic to your ISP to a super-audio signal, and if you have a microfilter you can use the phone for a voice call at the same time as the internet is connected.  You can only use your ADSL modem on a phone line which has been enabled for ADSL (broadband), and also either only on the same ISP or sometimes only on one physical phone line (depends on the ISP), unless you change the user name and password (etc).
ADSL modems can be either a modem-only device, which has either a USB port or one ethernet port and no wireless.
Most people have a combined modem and router.  The modem part of the box does the comms down the phone line to the ISP, and the router part of the box provides connections to the PCs.  These connectionsa re either physical, using the ethernet cable, or wireless.  The ethernet cable connector is known as a RJ45, has 8 contacts and the socket on the PC is like the one in the diagram above.
If you have cable broadband instead of ADSL broadband, you will have only a router - there is no modem - so the routers for cable versus ADSL are not interchangeable.

You'll be away by now, but I thought I'd add this to clarify and hopefully help anyone else!
shutter
Community Veteran

HI Guys, and Gals.....
Back from the Beautiful North Wales coast....
Bought myself a gismo (similar to the one suggested) at local Maplins. and it worked ..... it was extremely slow compared to my 1.4meg broadband connection, but it worked.... and I managed to get my emails, and other bits and pieces...
Thanks for the updates whilst I was away.... this particular version of the Inspiron 1545 does not have the telephone/fax modem , presumably you have to order it when you order the laptop.... 
Now.... useful for anyone else who goes away, and can only get a "dial up " connection..... this linky is for the ISP I used to connect .... it is 1p per minute from 6pm to 8 am... and just under 4p per minute during the daylight hours ....
NIPPY INTERNET....    http://www.nippyinternet.co.uk/
Best thing is.... you can use it from ANY BT phone connection.... and it charges the phone number you use it from.... so if you are moving about, your "host" will pick up the tab on their phone bill.... You only need to register the computer on the net ONCE... and it does it automatically when you connect every time, even from different BT phone numbers....
KenA
Grafter

hi shutter,
Glad to hear you had a good holiday.
You could also have used the dial-up number from PlusNet too, so you would not have need to register with another ISP..  I guess the charges are similar for dial-up.
When I'm away, I use bluetooth from my laptop to my mobile phone, then the modem in the phone makes a GPRS connection.  Your mobile will be charged for data, but it's also a cheap & cheerful (though slow) option, and you don't need to buy a telephone modem nor find a phone line.