cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop effects

Not applicable

Desktop effects

I said I wouldn't start another thread 'cos I've begun too many lately but the Linux forum needs livening up a bit and I was reading Full Circle latest edition which as piqued my interest in desktop effects. There was a nice little article and a few very impressive effects which I have tried to emulate but not successful. I think at least one of them had used Eyecandy for KDE: http://de.kde-look.org/
I've got Compiz working OK and I like wobbly windows but don't know why as can't see that they are of much use.
My cube rotates with the dome thingy but don't find much use for it really.
Love the Awn dock and am gradually getting it sorted the way I want.
Still got the toolbar at the top though - can't seem to do without it.
Must say that Linux is far more configurable than Windows.
Would like to know what others have done with their desktops and Compiz.
11 REPLIES 11
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Desktop effects

Just thinking of your other wants, just got one of these vid cams http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=256541 Strange only got it today and it was £20 less than that.  Amazed at the quality and it down loaded and played on  my Asus Eeepc Linux and also XP machines with no drivers required.  does  come  with a disc with drivers to make it a Skype Web Cam,  Colour and sound excellent, works down to 1lux, virtually darkness  stores to micro sd card up to 8G at the rate of 40 mins per G
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I switched off Compiz Smiley
I moved the toolbar at the top to the bottom Smiley
So it's looking like Windoze Cry
But for wallpaper I download the "picture of the day" from Wikipedia, if it has the right aspect ratio.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well normally (using my EEE just now with a 3g dongle) I have compiz enabled but using the cylinder instead of the cube, and random effects on Close, 4 desktops enabled with different progs running in each  ,  and a few other tweaks I can't remember at the mo Embarrassed
Toolbar at top, awn at bottom with the active progs displayed in it rather than the toolbar, and the desktop switcher in the toolbar, I also have the mouse enabled to switch desktops just by the mouse wheel on the desktop, makes a fast and easy to use system.
Santiago
Grafter

I am not bothered with the desktop effects although I do have the awn dock.  I also moved the icons I wanted from the bottom tool bar to the top and then removed the bottom bar.
Not applicable

I removed the bottom bar on one of my installations but the trouble was I then didn't have access to the open programmes. Couldn't find a way of putting it back (at the time) but now have found out how. This time I have it shrunk and hidden underneath the Awn dock.
Presumably you are using the dock to see your open programmes?
I have kept the top bar at its default state as I am used to it now and can use it more or less instinctively.
Did try to colour it with the desktop background but it is currently dark and I couldn't see the titles.
I added the Cairo Main Menu icon to the dock and with that you have instant access to everything to don't need the top bar so much.
Haven't got round to using it yet though - it's just new habits really.
Santiago
Grafter

I do use the dock to see open programmes but I also use 4 desktops to switch easily too. I found using the dock ad the bottom panel together was a bit fiddly
One thing I noticed with awn dock, the File Browser Launcher doesn't open the correct item when selected. For example when I click on Documents it opens the Music folder and if I click on Pictures it opens Videos.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: poppy
Presumably you are using the dock to see your open programmes?

yes there is a plugin that does this
Not applicable

Well, that's a puzzle Santiago - I have the launcher on the dock and it opens at all the right places. Wonder what's up?
Biker - don't know about the plug-in but mine does seem to display things that are open. I know this because when the update manager kicks in it shows up on the dock.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Does it show the currently running programs or only the things like the update manager?
There are several different options that you can show, the sys tray one does the update manager etc,  I can't remember what I have running as I don't use it on this screen (too small @ 7")
edit:
just checked the web page and you need the "Notification Area Applet" installed to show running apps.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I got compiz set up the other week, played with it for a few days then went back to fluxbox. I did the same a year or two ago. It's nice to show off with but I can't really see the point at the moment.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Less is more. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."