Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop and Netbook, POP3 or IMAP

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Desktop and Netbook, POP3 or IMAP

I'm looking for advice or confirmation that I have the best approach to a problem, which is essentially how do I keep my emails in synch on both the desktop and my new netbook.
The situation is thus. I have had the desktop for a number of years, and have always used POP3 for emails using Outlook Express. I have a number of emails stored in personal folders. Obviously, these emails are all stored on the desktop hard drive. Ideally I would like in future to be able to view all my emails, either in an Inbox or personal folder, on both the desktop and netbook.
I see two options (I'm sure there are more).
1. Using POP3, I can set up OE to leave messages on the server, so that I can view messages on both the desktop and netbook. As I understand it, if I access the messages on either pc, does this automatically create a copy of the email on the hard drive (local Inbox) of whichever I'm using?
Pros - simple solution, effectively provides a backup of saved messages
Cons - need to periodically delete messages via Webmail, and check both pcs for consistency manually
2. Using IMAP (I've been experimenting), a new set of folders is visible on both pcs, therefore I should be able to copy anything I want to keep either to local folders on both pcs, or to a personal folder created under IMAP. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm expecting to be able to use the imap folders to transfer copies of the old saved messages.
Pros - makes it easier to manage the majority of 'read once then delete' messages
Cons - I'm not convinced I know how IMAP works or if it will meet my needs.
Any advice would be much appreciated, and I won't be offended if anyone tells me I'm on completely the wrong tack.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Desktop and Netbook, POP3 or IMAP

Quote from: maranello

1. Using POP3, I can set up OE to leave messages on the server, so that I can view messages on both the desktop and netbook. As I understand it, if I access the messages on either pc, does this automatically create a copy of the email on the hard drive (local Inbox) of whichever I'm using?

Yes

Pros - simple solution, effectively provides a backup of saved messages
Cons - need to periodically delete messages via Webmail, and check both pcs for consistency manually

No, just select the option to delete the message from the server after a certain number of days.  Consistency should be automatic.  The main con is that you have to deal with each email twice, you might even absent-mindedly respond to the same email twice.   

2. Using IMAP (I've been experimenting), a new set of folders is visible on both pcs, therefore I should be able to copy anything I want to keep either to local folders on both pcs, or to a personal folder created under IMAP. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm expecting to be able to use the imap folders to transfer copies of the old saved messages.
Pros - makes it easier to manage the majority of 'read once then delete' messages
Cons - I'm not convinced I know how IMAP works or if it will meet my needs.
Any advice would be much appreciated, and I won't be offended if anyone tells me I'm on completely the wrong tack.

My only experience of IMAP is waiting a long time for folders to synchronize - but maybe I was just unlucky?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I personally never use pop3, I have all my email clients (laptop, desktop & phone) setup as imap.
This means that I never miss a message, I can set it to only download headers (phone) and when I delete/respond to a message it is done on all at the same time, no multiple copies anywhere,
You don't have to have imap keep a copy thats what the server is for, unless you want to keep a backup.
KenA
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards

My only experience of IMAP is waiting a long time for folders to synchronize - but maybe I was just unlucky?

No, that seems to be normal.  From my limited experience of IMA P, it's resource-intensive.  Also it's not one of Microsoft's priorities, so don't expect an improvement anytime soon if it's a Microsoft server at the server end.