Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop UPS recommendations please.

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Desktop UPS recommendations please.

I'm in need of a UPS to run my iMac, a second monitor and VoIP phone. Can anyone make any recommendations please.

23 REPLIES 23
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Desktop UPS recommendations please.

Fix

I have been using an APS Back-UPS ES700 which has four sockets for battery backup and surge protection and a further four sockets for surge protection only. This has been protecting my iMac, router and 2 external drives without any problems (other than a replacement battery) since 2012.

Here is the Amazon link:

Amazon - APS Back-UPS ES 700

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I have two APS Back-UPS CS350 units; for my PC and monitors and the other for router, switch, NAS and VoIP phone. It's a small neat unit with three backed up outlets and one surge protected outlet. I rewired a four gang extension lead with a kettle lead to get the required standard 13A plug sockets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Back-UPS-350-Uninterruptible-protected/dp/B00006BBIK

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can get UPS units cheap off ebay with bad batteries, replace the batteries with new and they're revived for several years 'til they next need new ones... Smiley

As for brands, personally I have Tripp-Lite (two of), a Belkin and a smashed Trust, the TLs are good for needing pure sine-wave output, the Belkin for whatever is on a wall-wart, and the smashed Trust keeps my lamps lit 'til I can find something else to use when it cuts out... Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

@twocvbloke - Company policy says I'm not allowed to I have to source the correct replacement so I've opted for this.

Also my two tripp-lite units (these) I bought just over two years ago have now both died. So not really impressed with them so I replaced both of them at the end of last year.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I have one of those Tripp-Lites, and the batteries did this last year:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVkxwnJAl0F/

Cleaned out the mess, fitted some PowerSonic batteries, and it's working fine today... Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

@twocvbloke, do you have a link for the replacement batteries? I could fix these for myself as they are now officially off the register of assets. Wink

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Anonymous in the office , we've replaced a few APC batteries in the past. Got most of them from here https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ups-trader?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I bought mine from this seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201605779925

But any 12v 7Ah (or similar) Sealed Lead Acid batteries should work, check the seller's other listings as they may have more battery listings with 4x that would work out cheaper...

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Anonymous wrote:

@twocvbloke I've opted for this

@Anonymous

Like @jelv@ in reply#3, I've also got a couple of APC Back-UPS CS350 units for which I purchased replacement batteries about 7 months ago.  Those UPS units are rated @ 350VA, 210W.

I was interested in the APC Back-UPS ES700 mentioned by @acr@ in reply#2, which because of its standard 13A socket outlets, I thought would be nice to locate in the vicinity of my lounge TV to supply the TV, newly built Media-PC and networked AVR.  That UPS is rated @ 700VA, 405W.

When I investigated which replacement battery would eventually be required it turns out it's exactly the same battery for both the CS350 and ES700!

Although I haven't got around to comparing the performance/run-time charts for each of those UPS units on the APC site, it seems to me that the run times at maximum output would not be comparable; i.e. the ES700 supplying its max 405W would run for less than half the time of the CS350 supplying its max 210W.  So that's put me off buying the ES700 for the time being, being mindful of the old saying 'Buyer beware'.

I've also got a couple of APC Smart-UPS 1500VA (980W) which I picked up cheaply a few years ago on eBay; new batteries going in to them next month, probably these from Tayna Batteries.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

@RobPN wrote:

When I investigated which replacement battery would eventually be required it turns out it's exactly the same battery for both the CS350 and ES700!

The majority of UPS units use the same basic 12v 7Ah battery, with some using 12v 12Ah, there are other types they use, but most of the time it's those two, my four UPS units all use the same battery so easy to source and replace... Smiley

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

We had a power cut here at about 5:30 am today.  My APC UPS made annoying beeping sounds once a minute in the mistaken belief that I would get out of bed, go out and fix the downed cable myself if it was sufficiently insistent.  It did this for about an hour until its battery ran out.  The connected devices that were actually switched-on and drawing power were my router and my answering machine.  Are you really sure you want one of these things?    

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Usually you can tap the power button to shut them up (on my Tripp Lites they have a mute button on the display), failing that, as per my Trust and Belkin, just open the UPS, find the beeper, pull the beeper's cap off, remove the metal disc inside, and that's that silenced for good... Smiley

This guy shows how to do it, on a kettle, why the heck a kettle needs a beeper though, I don't know!!! Huh

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've never seen an APC device yet that doesn't have a power switch to turn it off.

Less than a minute to turn it off and then back to sleep or lie there for an hour and complain about it's insistent beeping? I know which I'd do!

I suggest you turn off the power to the UPS to simulate a cut and familiarise yourself with how to shut it up ready for next time.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

One has to ask what is the point in having a UPS and ignoring the alarm!