Did you mean: 

Desktop PC relucant to switch on!

FIXED
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Desktop PC relucant to switch on!

@adrianscotter

In topics such as this one, opinions can vary and often conflict but usually no offence is intended.

I'm sure this is the case here.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm sure you're right Strat and yes, PC repair is a can of worms but I'm happy to bow out, I have a busy week installing 1 x HP DL360 server with Server 2016 and 11 client machines with Windows 2010, Office 365, the licensing, setup and installation of the same plus 4 x PC repairs that I've had delivered to me today so I'm struggling for time anyway. I shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place really, I'm way too busy.

Live long and prosper!
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Is Windows 2010 new?
adrianscotter
Pro

LOL, trying to do too many things at once, I should stick to what men are good at.  One thing at one time and do it properly, not multi-task and get it wrong.  And...  its a DL380, not 360 and Windows 10  Proves my point, one thing at one time... now, where has the damn kettle gone, I need tea!

Live long and prosper!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Sorry to go on about this, but I contacted a mainly software guy who writes for a Linux magazine, "Full Circle" Smiley

His response was:-

Your computer is exhibiting the classic symptoms of a "cold joint," a connector which works once it has warmed up, but often fails when it is cold. It can be very annoying to track down. I have experience with a TV which had this problem.

It's not a problem with the on/off switch. It's almost certainly not a problem with the power supply, although it wouldn't hurt to shut down, open the box, and unplug and replug every connector from the power supply. Likewise, you could pull the memory and push it back again a few times. Oh, also the connectors for the hard drive or drives.
Assuming those don't solve the problem, If it was my computer I would take the CPU cooler off, unplug the CPU and put it back, replace the thermal compound and put the cooler back, and see what happens. If you have a nearby little computer shop, they should be able to sell you a bit of thermal compound for a pound or two.

Running a computer 24/7 is not a bad choice. Warming up and cooling down is what makes computers old.

Since I've done most of the stuff regarding connections, I'll wait and see what happens before messing with my CPU.

The cold joint thing sounds like a reasonable cause - although I'm not convinced about the thermal compound thing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Funny, I'm sure I said all that already, like I say, never let a software guy work on hardware...........

adrianscotter
Pro

@twocvbloke wrote:

Funny, I'm sure I said all that already, like I say, never let a software guy work on hardware...........

Heartily seconded! Software guys should stick to software, it's what they do best.

Not being familiar with the AMD board in question, I read up on it, it's an entry level board and I (having re-read the whole post) strongly suspect the VR module, the thing that supplies power to the CPU. You said earlier there are no POST beeps when switched on, that would be a symptom of this. The thing does not power up at all, that would be a symptom of this also.  In my humble opinion, the easiest way to diagnose this is to remove everything from the board, all memory, plug in cards etc but not the CPU ( the only things to leave plugged in are CPU and fan, power lead that's it, no LED indicators, reset switch leads etc ) and power this thing up. If you still have no beep codes when you power it up then ther's a strong possibility its the VRM.  Could it be a dry joint?  Possibly.  If it is, bin it, you can repair dry joints from now to eternity.  IMHO, it might be time to change.

Live long and prosper!
VileReynard
Hero

Well, you are probably right.

I wouldn't describe the CPU as entry level - I basically just wanted 4 core, high speed one.

I shall just run it 24/7 & just possibly try reseating the CPU speed, if goes all unstable...

adrianscotter
Pro

Not the CPU, the main board.  It was entry level.  I dont know a great deal about AMD CPU offerings, I always use Intel boards and processors. I've had a multitude of machines on my bench over the years and these symptoms do point in that direction bearing in mind what you've already done. 😏

Live long and prosper!
VileReynard
Hero

Agreed about the basic ASUS main board - I mainly wanted to be able to do fast video transcoding, and its very good at that.

You are probably right a problem with its poor old joints. Cheesy

adrianscotter
Pro

Oh I hear that, man, I hate this cold weather.  I have several dry joints that creak and groan.  Probably why I'm a grumpy old man 😉

Live long and prosper!
Anonymous
Not applicable

If not a dry joint it could be 'fat capacitor' that it's suffering from, but that is the case then it would be cheaper to replace the board.

adrianscotter
Pro

VR has already checked that, his board has 'proper' caps, not the cheap cans.

Live long and prosper!