Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop PC boots OK, then fafter a period of time reboots and fails

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Desktop PC boots OK, then fafter a period of time reboots and fails

One of my desktop PC's (windows 10) has a fault. IT power's up OK, runs for a period of time then reboots and cannot find the bootsector and reports an error something like "Boot device not found". ON rebooting it works OK until it happens again normally after 2-3 hours.

The PC has an i7 processor, 24GB RAM, a 240GB SSD plus 4 monitors (each split into two) +, keyboard, mouse and network connection, it runs continually a program called Earthworm which monitors 8 seismic stations. Earthworm feeds the data into 8 notepad files (one for each seismic station), which are copied onto the network and reset daily.

There is no mail program, no internet browser, MS defender + Malware bytes run the system appears to be clean.

I've reset the BIOS so it can only boot from the SSD, I've replaced the CMOS battery. I'm beginning to suspect the SSD may be on the point of failure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Desktop PC boots OK, then fafter a period of time reboots and fails

Have a look at https://www.smartmontools.org/ - should be able to tell you if your disk is reporting any issues
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

I would suspect a memory problem....

A disk error would fail on both hard and soft re-boots. Looks like you have 2x8 & 2x4 modules try removing a matched pair and see what happens....

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Showing my ignorance here but why would a running programme or the operating system need to access the boot sector whilst the computer is running? A few thoughts:

Is this a software problem. Have you had any software updates around the time this started?

When you say a reboot fixes the problem do you mean a soft restart or do you actually shut down the computer and reboot from a power off state? If so then if the SSD (or any other relevant component) is locking up then the removal of power would reset the glitch. Consequently it could be a nightmare to track the problem down without substituting components until you find the offender.

A longer shot is whether this is a thermal problem. Are all your filters clean and fans running?

Edit.

One further thought. Have you tried changing the power settings to always on and leaving the computer idling rather than running yor data logging software to see if it crashes? If it still crashes then this would reduce the probability that the likely cause is software or thermal issues.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is the BIOS set to try a reboot after a power failure?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@journeys wrote:

One of my desktop PC's (windows 10) has a fault. IT power's up OK, runs for a period of time then reboots and cannot find the bootsector and reports an error something like "Boot device not found". ON rebooting it works OK until it happens again normally after 2-3 hours.

As others have eluded to, it does kinda sound like somethings getting too hot. You could always install Speccy and monitor how hot the processor is running

The PC has an i7 processor, 24GB RAM, a 240GB SSD plus 4 monitors (each split into two) +, keyboard, mouse and network connection, it runs continually a program called Earthworm which monitors 8 seismic stations. Earthworm feeds the data into 8 notepad files (one for each seismic station), which are copied onto the network and reset daily.

How are the monitors connected? Is it via 2 separate graphics cards or have you utilised the onboard graphics connectors on the MOBO. If you didn't know, using the latter actually uses some of the processor to run the monitors and if you're using DVi and Serial, or DVI and HDMI or serial and HDMI it might be pushing the processor a bit, more so if the monitors are all HDMI and you're using them in HD. Does it still reboot if only one monitor is used?

(this last paragraph is my understanding and I could be wrong on this)

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@journeys wrote:

....I'm beginning to suspect the SSD may be on the point of failure.

That is certainly one possibility so make sure it is backed-up.  

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When it tries to reboot, which device does it boot from - is it a USB device?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."