Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell latitude C600

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Dell latitude C600

I am helping a neighbour of my parents, who I am trying to bring over to PlusNet.  He wanted broadband, and decided to go for the mobile offering from Carphone warehouse, with the 3 dongle. After frustrating attempts to install this damn thing for him, finally managed to get it working, only to find he has barely any signal in his house. Carphone warehouse refuse to refund him!!! anyhow I digress......  His Latitude C600 appears to have no network adapter, there is an ethernet socket, but it appears It needs a mini pci card. Has anyone any ideas where I can get one of these from, my searches have proved fruitless, as all the ones I have found do not have drivers for XP. ( His laptop has XP pro, but according to the Dell site, should only have Win2K?!?).  I could use USB, but there is only one port, thats 1.1, and he will prob only get 1Mb connection at best, as he lives on the same street as my parents, and they only get 1Mb, I had to move them back to a fixed 1meg from Max, due to their line length, and SNR ( 63.5dB,  SNR 5dB). Dont want USB to hold him back any more than he will be.
Also is it possible to request a fixed line during the signup process, never seen it myself
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Dell latitude C600

Edit ............ the original reply referred to the D 600,  not the C 600, so was removed... Sorry
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

New reply..... ! !!
Check out this review, it has some good information, and may point you into solving your problems....
http://pcworld.about.com/news/Apr092001id46623.htm
Things like this crop up......  Quote...You can also order your notebook with a modem/NIC mini-PCI card and add a TrueMobile PC Card for occasional wireless networking.) Unquote
and this
a Pentium III-750/600 notebook running Windows 2000.

and this
The Pentium III-750/600-based Latitude C600 includes a TrueMobile wireless LAN mini-PCI card that connects to an antenna
Hope that helps...... Roll_eyes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
and there` s more ..... here are the Key  Specs  from this site...

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/notebooks/0,1000000333,10000056,00.htm
Key Specs
Processor manufacturer:   Intel
Processor model:               Mobile Pentium III
Clock speed:                     .85 GHz
RAM installed:                      128 MB
Wireless LAN: integrated antenna for wireless 802.11b networking via a Mini-PCI card
Hard drive size:             10 GB
Graphics processor:         ATi Rage Mobility 128 AGP 2X
Graphics RAM:                   8 MB
Display diagonal size: 14.1 in
Dimensions (W x H x D): 31.9x3.5x25.4 cm
Weight: 2.7 kg

Operating system: Windows 2000 Professional
samuria
Grafter

I have the same laptop and use a PC Card, such as the Xircom RealPort modem/NIC combination Xp found the drivers with no problems I also use a usb wireless dongle wit hit as well both work great. They are the sort of cards you get at car boots by the bucket load for 50p
If you search on ebay there are hundreds at £4.99 search for Xircom  see
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XIRCOM-PCMCIA-56K-GLOBAL-ACCESS-LAPTOP-MOBEM-CABLE_W0QQitemZ310045639743QQihZ0...