cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell laptop keeps telling me the battery is not correct?

jmd
Grafter

Dell laptop keeps telling me the battery is not correct?

Have Dell laptop and whenI switch it on I get a black screen and it states the battery is not recognised and is incorrect so cannot be charged and to pres F1 if that is OK.  Well, the battery has been with laptop since I bought it so why it should suddenly say that I am not sure!
The battery is showing as fully charged as I use mains power.
Anyone had this problem or can tell me what the reason for this is?
10 REPLIES 10
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Dell laptop keeps telling me the battery is not correct?

How long have you had the laptop?
If it is a couple of years or more, and you only used it on mains power..... then the charge/discharge cycle has not been working. and the system thinks the battery is dead.....
I have an old dell laptop, with the same symptoms.... you can remove the battery and just use it on mains, however.... you need to remember that if you want to move the position of the laptop, you will shut down the laptop, when you pull the plug... !..
Best advice I can give is source a replacement battery on Google shopping, making sure you check before purchase that it is suitable for your particular model of DELL by querying it with the supplier on their " Contact" page.... this way , if it does not work properly, you can go back to them and say.... "You said it was compatible".... and not the other way round, when they can say you ordered the wrong one/type....
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Dell want to maximise profits by making sure if you replace your original battery you get an expensive Dell battery instead of a cheaper generic one.  So they try to incorporate a system that will refuse to function (i.e. charge) when it detects a non-Dell battery.  Sometimes this system malfunctions and a genuine Dell battery is not identified as such.
I suggest if the problem persists then you call Dell and refuse to be fobbed off until they agree to replace your battery with another one that does not provoke the message.  You can run the laptop on the mains adaptor without any battery installed if necessary.     
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

my old Dell 1545 , (square screen) laptop, is running with a duff battery, so I use it on mains only...
My new (ish) Dell 2200 oblong screen, is running on a "cheapo" generic battery with no problems....  for about 18 months to 2 years now....
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

jmd
Grafter

went to that forum and looked at what people had done, so have download/installed BIOS update but made no difference!!
found invoice and realised have another month left on the extra warranty I paid for so will ring Dell!
jmd
Grafter

Thought you might like to see the reply I eventually got  from Dell -
"Thank you for getting in touch with Dell?s E-mail Hardware Technical Support.
It is unfortunate to hear that you have experienced a fault with the battery of your system, however, be assured as we are committed to provide you with best of our services and repairs.
To bring it to your notice, the battery of laptop, being a consumable item is covered only for the first year of purchase from the date of invoice with no relation to the total period of Warranty Coverage for the rest of the hardware components.
Battery uses chemicals to provide charge to the computer and over a period of time the concentration of chemical diminishes, thereby affecting the ability of the battery to provide charge to the computer.
This is a reason why battery is considered a consumable item as chemicals are consumed with usage and time.
Hence I would request you to please purchase a new battery.
Thank you for choosing Dell."
Oh well, will look on Amazon.....................
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: ReedRichards
I suggest if the problem persists then you call Dell and refuse to be fobbed off until they agree to replace your battery with another one that does not provoke the message. 

Oh dear, you let yourself get fobbed-off, didn't you.  You have fallen victim to a malfunction in a system that serves no purpose other than forcing people to buy Dell replacement batteries.  Maybe your local Trading Standards office can help? 
jmd
Grafter

They may say thank you for choosing Dell but will look round for a new batttery when can afford it it and it wont be from Dell.
The Sony Vaio I had before never came up with that message.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: jmdlp
... will look round for a new batttery when can afford it it and it wont be from Dell.

Then you may well get exactly the same problem.  The computer does not need to "recognise" the battery unless it is actively trying to prevent you from using a non-Dell battery.
jmd
Grafter

What I meant is that I may well get a Dell battery  but not from Dell as Amazon for example have them at less than half the price Dell charges.