Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell insiron 1501 and BT voyager 2110 - wifi help

Horizon
Dabbler

Dell insiron 1501 and BT voyager 2110 - wifi help

Hi all first post and all that.
I consider myself quite PC savvy 😕  BUT my laptop wont fiorn the wireless signal of my router.
The wifi is enabled on the laptop and I have tried Dell connection and windoze to search for it but no avail.
I have bought a BT USB dongle today to see if that works but before I try that I would like to see if there is anything you guys can recommend?
Any help appreciated
Dave
14 REPLIES 14
Horizon
Dabbler

Re: Dell insiron 1501 and BT voyager 2110 - wifi help

Quote from: PJ
Have you set the Voyager to hide SSID? Are you able to spot anything using Netstumbler?

Hide SSID is off and netstumbler is not picking up the WAP either ?
Thanks for quick reply btw
using XP MCE
Horizon
Dabbler

Is the WLAN light on on the router?

yes  netstumbler has just picked it up after I rebooted router again but nothing in dell wireless or windoze showing?Huh
Horizon
Dabbler

Are you able to pick up other wireless networks in Netstumbler? If so- are you able to see those on your laptop?

yes I can and netstumbler is showing that my network has no SNR?
Horizon
Dabbler

Obviously use Netstumbler to determine which of those channels is quietest.

chnged to chan 6 but 7 was the quitest and no difference.  I am downloading the wireless card driver and reinstalling that as we speak.
The laptop is 1 metre away from the router at present and have moved around the house and no different.
Horizon
Dabbler

Attached is what I see through Netstumbler
Undecided
Horizon
Dabbler

Still does not work even with the BT USB dongle that I bought and took back.  Or my Netgear router or my unlocked BTHH 😕
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do you have any wireless security turned on?
It would be easier to remove all security and see how far you get. Since it is not working now, this is only a security exposure if it starts working.
What kind of signal strength does windoze show for your wireless (on the 0-5 pictorial in wireless setup).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Horizon
Dabbler

Security OFF, And not even showing as tx'ing on windoze wireless or dell wireless utility 😕 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In XP if get it to scan Networks, can you see yours? I don't have access to windoze so this is speaking from memory.
If you sit on top of your router and it doesn't work, I would think you have a case for a replacement router.
I can see several unsecured networks near me - perhaps you want to chance an almost certainly illegal connection to one of these (for a few seconds)?
[If you only connect to a router does that count as accessing a computer system?]

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

puddy
Grafter

I have the same dell laptop a free gift from dell to replace my overheating inspiron 5160-which only had 1 month of its 3 year warranty left. who said Dell are c!!!p
Under vista not sure under xp
With the inspiron 1501 you may need to re-load the wireless card driver for some reason it works in b mode instead of b and g.  Go to the dell web site/or use the driver disk download the dell wireless 1390 WLAN mini-card driver their are 3 you don't want the us or japan driver.
Re-boot check device manager to make sure it states dell not broadcom adapter and check its running go control panel and you will see dellwirless wlan card utility to check its working
While you are in control panel go in to network and sharing centre icon make sure your network showing private not public in customize or it will not logon then click connect to a network and it will show your router  Grin click connect
hope that helps
puddy
ps I always wipe the hard drives to get rid of all the rubbish thats on them and re-load my own stuff
Horizon
Dabbler

I can access next doors network no probs as they gave me the key Cheesy  Probably a faulty router me thinks also.  Will give the support line a call and see what they say.....
Thanks for you help Smiley
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Horizon
I can access next doors network no probs as they gave me the key Cheesy  Probably a faulty router me thinks also.  Will give the support line a call and see what they say.....
Thanks for you help Smiley

did you run though the message I sent you?
check in control panel>network and shareing icon is showing private and not public network.
I told you I had the same problem with my dell inspiron 1501 laptop as you  its the laptop not talking to your router and not the other way round so your routers okay.
before you blame the router can next door logon to your router?
puddy
Horizon
Dabbler

No message received?
I will check that tomorrow thanks!
Dave
Horizon
Dabbler

While you are in control panel go in to network and sharing centre icon make sure your network showing private not public in customize
?
I have no such icon 😕