cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Vostro V130 Audio to USB - Help please.

mossgrove
Grafter

Dell Vostro V130 Audio to USB - Help please.

I often play music from my Dell V130 laptop in a local community hall, using the 3.5mm stereo output to twin phono plugs on the hall's amp.  They have just replaced the amp in the hall with a new one with USB input.  Does anyone know if it will be merely a matter of connecting a USB pot on the laptop to the USB on the amp using a double male cable - or is there more to it?  I know you can successfully connect an IPod to the amp using the USB cable connected to the IPod dock connector.
The laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium, and  I use Media Monkey as the player.
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Dell Vostro V130 Audio to USB - Help please.

Quote from: mossgrove
Does anyone know if it will be merely a matter of connecting a USB pot on the laptop to the USB on the amp using a double male cable - or is there more to it?

I think that there is a fairly good chance that Windows 7 will recognise the amp and automatically install any additional drivers that are necessary.  Failing this it might succeed if given an internet connection to allow it to download additional drivers.  If that fails you will need to find the installation disc or download the installation software form the amp. manufacturer's web site.   
CX
Grafter

Quote from: mossgrove
a matter of connecting a USB pot on the laptop to the USB on the amp using a double male cable - or is there more to it?

Reading between the lines here, it might be that the amp is just a USB host, so connecting a USB device containing music is no problem, for example, but it may not act as a USB device itself, and so can't be connected to a PC in that manner (i.e. as a USB sound card).
What type of connector is on the amp - type A or type B?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USB.svg
mossgrove
Grafter

Thanks for the answers.  The Amp is a type A  female (as far as I can see - they have run an extension cable from inside the amp rack.
I suspect the answer is going to be "suck it and see" next time I am in the hall - taking an IPod as a fall back.