cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell SystemTag

coastergrotto
Grafter

Dell SystemTag

I have posted this on the Dell forum without success so I thought I would try here to see if anyone can help.
I have just had a new Hard Drive installed under Warranty on my Inspiron 6400 laptop.  However it appears to have changed the System Tag on this machine.
When I connect to Network to transfer files from my Inspiron 1720 laptop to the 6400 it shows what I assume is this new tag number. but when I click on it I'm required to enter a User Name and Password, which I never used to have to do prior to the installation of the new hard drive.
I can transfer the files OK by pasting them in to the file for the 1720 machine, but I would like to know if it is possible to change the tag number back to it's original number or, if not, what information do I need to fill in for user name and password?
I have no password set for either computer and I have tried my ISP user name and password to no avail.
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Dell SystemTag

First, where are you seeing the system tag?
When I connect to Network to transfer files from my Inspiron 1720 laptop to the 6400 it shows what I assume is this new tag number. but when I click on it I'm required to enter a User Name and Password, which I never used to have to do prior to the installation of the new hard drive.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the above. The service tag should play no part in any internet connection so I'm not sure what you are actually seeing and what you are actually clicking on to then require a user/pass. Can you explain in detail exactly what you are doing and what you are seeing.
What happens when you put the system tag into here which whould detail what it refers to.
It's possible the drive you have is not new but has been taken out of another dell laptop. If it was sold as new then you need to contact the person who fitted it.
samuria
Grafter

I assume you get the message when you try to connect to another pc over the network is that right? If so its asking for the username and password on the other pc so you need to enter the name and password for an account on the other pc.
If you create an account on the other pc the same  as the one you are trying to connect with and login with it it shouldn't ask again. Having a new drive means the probably not put an account back. The tag number is probably what they have called the pc thats why you seeing it.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thank you both for your replies.
Peter:   The Hard drive was brand new.  It was installed by the firm that carries out Dell repairs under Dell's next business day warranty and was a result of my online chat with Dell and after running a diagnostics test.  When I put the System Tag (not the new number) in the box it shows details of my warranty but when I ask to search for the tag it does not find it or my express service code, that is what concerns me.
Samuria:      I think you have described it more or less correctly and I now believe that what I thought was a new tag number is, as you say, what they are calling the machine.    Here is a little more information that may help:
Yes I am trying to connect to my network.    Basically I have 3 laptops.  When I transferred files previously over the wireless link my two other XP machines were displayed by their Service tag numbers.     Since the new hard drive has been fitted to one of my machines it displays a different name or number, which I took to be the Service Tag, since when I tried to search for it's Service tag number on the Dell website it was unable to find it, so I assumed the new number displayed must be it's Service tag.    When I search for information on this particular computer it does not show a Service Tag No or Express Code No, however when I go to Advanced Information this new name/number is displayed as 'System Name' and also as it's 'User Name'.
Whatever this new name or number is, when I click on it it requires a User Name and Password, so my latest idea was to put in the User Name that the advanced information gave, as that seems to be the most likely one, but I've no idea of a password so I have tried pretty well all the passwords I use but to no avail.
This current laptop is using Vista, but when I hit 'Network' it used to display the device by it's system tag number prior to one of the laptops having a new hard drive fitted.     I can still send files to the other computer though, as I said, by pasting them into the 'Public' file on this 1720 computer and then accessing them on that computer.
I've tried creating an account on the other computer with the User Name, but it would not allow me to create it with what it called my computers name and  I have tried creating a new account with a new password but that didn't work either.
I'm probably guilty of not fully describing what I mean but I would have thought there has to be a simple answer to this, but I'm darned if I can find it.    At the end of the day I can still transfer the files by clicking on the Public icon, but I can't see why I can't access the icon for that particular laptop. 
As an extra point I should add that I have Sky Player installed on that particular laptop and, as you may be aware, it is specific to one machine, it cannot be run on more than one computer per Sky account.      When the new Hard Drive was installed and I dowloaded Sky player it said I was accessing it from a different computer, so I had to email Sky before it would work on this computer again.  That's also why I thought I must have a new tag number, as Sky Player did not recognise the computer.

samuria
Grafter

To try and clarify things each pc has a pc name which can be anything and it has a workgroup normally called workgroup(all pcs need to have the same workgroup name). Each pc has users with passwords.
When you search for another pc in the network list you normally see workgroup and clicking on it gives you a list of pc in that workgroup like
mypc
kidspc
intelquad
dell660
I suspect what you see there is a tag which is what dell have given the pc as a name.
To now connect the pc you are trying to connect to ask for a username and password from your pc which it reply s with the username and password you are currently logged in as. If it doesnt have that name and password on its system it will ask for a username and password for an account on its self.
So if pc one has a username of fred and a password of mypc  you need to create a username of fred with a password of mypc on pc two. If you do this it will connect straight away.
The pc you are connecting to needs to have a share set or you must use an admin share with a $ like c$ for this you must supply an admin username and password. You can connect by mapping a drive and giving a password etc or by connecting as another user.
If you create a share with everyone having full access you wont need a password but anyone can connect so its risky 
coastergrotto
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.    I'll try again tomorrow to see if  I have any success, far too late now to attempt it.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Samuria:
Your help has been much appreciated, but everything I try ends up with the same result.      I've emailed Dell on the reference they supplied when I reported the Hard Drive faulty and if they do not respond to that I'll try Dell Chat.
Once again thanks for your help.  If Dell do manage to sort it, I'll let you know.
samuria
Grafter

Dell normally have a Dell remote control and can remote into your system and fix things and show you what to do. Its just getting hold of the right person
coastergrotto
Grafter

Well they haven't responded to the email as I suppose they considered the case closed.      I'll try Dell chat tomorrow.  Yes, you are quite correct, it really does help if you manage to get to speak to the right person.