Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Monitor with no available driver

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Dell Monitor with no available driver

Most of my computer kit is old but functional and I was recently given a Dell SE198WFP monitor which looked to be a good replacement for my LG dual purpose screen.

I run both W7 and W10 and Dell have no drivers for this so it is running on Intel HD graphics default. There are further options but none comprehensible!

The problem I have is that graphics colours look "washed out" regardless of adjusting the settings of brightness and contrast in many combinations. Black text is pale grey and pale blue text on a white background all but disappears.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? It seems such a waste to bin it!

4 REPLIES 4
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Dell Monitor with no available driver

@TeeGee 

Try this:

In Windows 10, go to Settings then Personalization and choose High contrast settings

It may not work on your system but doesn't the monitor have its own settings that you can change?

Dave

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@TeeGee 

I overlooked the fact that you had tried adjusting the monitor. But do try to use the High Contrast setting

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@TeeGee wrote: I was recently given a Dell SE198WFP monitor

I run both W7 and W10 and Dell have no drivers for this

The problem I have is that graphics colours look "washed out" regardless of adjusting the settings of brightness and contrast in many combinations. Black text is pale grey and pale blue text on a white background all but disappears.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? It seems such a waste to bin it!

There is usually a reason for people giving stuff away. 😀 Your post reminds me of some years ago when I finally decided to go buy a new monitor. On connecting it up, the difference in colour rendering, sharpness etc was mind blowing. I suddenly realised how much technology had moved on. But the boy was happy to have my old monitor.......

I see drivers were produced in 2013 but really for Vista. I suspect they won't be much of an improvement on what you have already. supplied by W7 & 10. I'd be more inclined to get a better graphic card and up to date monitor - always assuming your system can cope with it.

FWIW. My monitor also uses the default drivers supplied by Win 10 as it seems Iiyama don't produce any for my model. Does it make a difference? None that I can see. It certainly copes with 4K videos and intensive gaming.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

@daveplus @idonno 

Thanks for both your helpful replies.

My first discovery id that both Intel HD graphics and the monitor itself both have contrast and brightness adjustments so I have improved things a little with a bit of juggling. Looking back I should perhaps set both to Default first!

The computer is connected with VGA pins but does have DVI so I will get anothe cable tomorrow.

The reason it was given away was because its owner bought an all in one iMac and his wife gets cross with old bits and pieces lying around!

I know i should go and but new kit but my demands are small and I like to see how I can make things work before they are binned. I also discovered a nice AGP grapfisc card from an ods Sony desktop but might not be an improvement even if it did fit in a PCIe slot.

My current setup is dual disk so I will attack W10 (on a nice Crucial SSD) later...