cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Laptop Charger

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Dell Laptop Charger

Friend has a dell laptop and the power brick died (all out of warranty), bought a replacement off ebay which turns out not to be genuine.
It works to power the laptop but it won't charge the battery as the laptop seems to know it's not genuine.
I've googled and a few forums seem to suggest that the laptops know if a non-Dell charger is used.
Anyone know for definite if this is the case and a way round it?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7 REPLIES 7
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Dell Laptop Charger

I think there is an extra pin on the connector which the laptop uses to talk to the charger, i.e. the charger is providing data as well as just power. The only solution I know of is to find a genuine Dell charger.
Edit: typos
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

My Dell Laptop charger has a three pin plug and socket on the "brick" (on the mains input side)
.... If you have "figure of eight" type connector, then it may not charge the battery, (but I don`t know why!!!)
Lurker
Grafter

Dell P/N 06G356 by any chance?
I have one sat in a drawer here waiting for the recycling people coming to collect it... happy for it to go to a good home if its the right one.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

The Dell Latitude D, E and Vostro range all use the same voltage (19v IIRC but I haven't got one here to check against) and the same connectors on their bricks. Power rating varies but that will usually only affect the speed of charging- unless you use a docking station when the higher power ones are required to power the docking station.
I don't know anything about consumer kit sold by Dell, but it's not unreasonable to assume that this is the same- it's not in Dell's interest to add complexity to their supply chain.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Apparently the ebay seller was most apologetic and has stuck another one in the post, thanks for your help and offers we'll see how the next one goes..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Lurker
Grafter

If its one of these older ones, its not the same as a Vostro. Wink

Later business machines from Dell use the consumer type charger; (Including Vostro etc)
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

I'll be impressed if you can get that older one to fit the Latitude D or E series as well  - although we do still have a few in storage that would take it! C820 and C840 IIRC.