cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell GX270 Startup Problem

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Dell GX270 Startup Problem

Forgive my ignorance. How do I add the drivers if I cannot get XP to work without Microsoft authorisation? Please remember that I have only temporarily installed this hard drive from another machine to test the process.
When I have more confident in the process, I intend to move the hard drive from my PC that is hard-wired to the router, fit it into the GX270, and then use the GX270 to replace the PC that is hard-wired to the router. The remains of the old PC will then be scrapped.
However, please also note that I have moved the borrowed hard drive back to the pc it was borrowed from, and now that also requires Microsoft authorisation - it was working perfectly before.
Problems, problems.
techguy
Grafter

If you cannot install drivers as its in reduced functionality mode (I cant remember what it restricts off the top of my head) and I assume you've gone past the grace period its insistent then you'll have to phone them to get an activation string.
If the software detects a change such as a CPU change even if the modek and clock speed is the same you will need to reactivate (moving the HDD will make the install think this has happened)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Since it is Microsoft that is your main obstacle, why not boot from a "Live" Linux disk?
These do not require (but do allow) any access to your hard disk.
It would give you a working system and depending on chipsets,
you might even have the drivers available on the CD to run your dongle network device.
This would allow you to detect your dongle device - why do people put up with these gadgets?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

techguy
Grafter

But just try and get a driver for anything but your bog standard onboard sound processor to work in Linux  Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have a look in http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
I've never had a problem with Linux  sound.
But - I wasn't suggesting you install Linux, simply use it to check out your
PC (since M$ won't let you). If you need to modify your Windows installation,  you can.
But you don't have to.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

techguy
Grafter

was just joking
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hi fellas, back again.
I did the telephone activation. No problems, apart from needing to load various Dell drivers after because it Ieft me with only basic graphics (16 colours, etc) and still no internet access. The Dell web site supplied 81 potential drivers, all identified, once I had downloaded them, only by R-Nos. They dont tell you what they are until you start them. Before they do anything else, they extract themselves onto the hard drive, and then tell you what they are, so waste hard disk space. I had to plough through them one at a time, but after a few duff loads (eg 2-off Nvidia graphics drivers, both of which left me with only 8 colours) I have eventually got this PC working properly. There were several drivers I didn't need
It would have been nice if Dell had a setup program (downloaded with the drivers) which then checked the pc to see which drivers it required, and then loaded and installed only those. However, they didn't - Dell take note.
Thanks everyone for all the help.
techguy
Grafter

They wouldn't be a manufacturer I would buy from again thats for sure after receiving a damaged system and wasting several days off waiting for replacements that never showed up I would never do business with such a lowsy company.
Glad you are sorted though.