Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delivery failure 5.1.2

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Delivery failure 5.1.2

Cab someone tell me why an email failed? The address was only given to me by two PhD holders the other day so I am mystified.
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up xxxxx.amserve.com (MX):  NXDomain
'
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Delivery failure 5.1.2

Try ****@amserve.com
Luzern
Hero

The address given was name@xxxxx.amserve.com. I have tried oldjim's suggestion name.xxxxxx@amserve.com and that failed too.
I also found a test to validate email address formats. That listed both as valid formats.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Delivery failure 5.1.2

Hi Lucerne,
I'm getting a DNS error when looking that domain up as well:
C:\Documents and Settings\mjtaylor>nslookup xxxxx.amserve.com
Server:  125.others.internal.plus.net
Address:  84.93.218.125
*** 125.others.internal.plus.net can't find xxxxx.amserve.com: Non-existent doma
in
C:\Documents and Settings\mjtaylor>nslookup xxxxx.amserve.com 212.159.6.9
Server:  ptn-cdns01.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.9
*** ptn-cdns01.plus.net can't find xxxxx.amserve.com: Non-existent domain
I know sometimes people put bits into email addresses (when posting on websites) that need manually removing so as to avoid spam, could that be the case with the x's in this email address?
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: orbrey
I know sometimes people put bits into email addresses (when posting on websites) that need manually removing so as to avoid spam, could that be the case with the x's in this email address?

Hi! I doubt that's the case as the address was written for me by a a fellow member of a group I belong to and checked by her OH, whom I asked about the xxxxx bit, name of old pet.! Will see them tomorrow as it happens, and maybe the mystery will be explained.
Maybe they are even less savvy than I am. Now there's a thought.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: lucerne
I asked about the xxxxx bit, name of old pet.! Will see them tomorrow as it happens, and maybe the mystery will be explained.

Hmm. I'd be surprised if they had a pet named xxxxx. Did you replace the original name with the x's in your initial post? If so I was testing the wrong domain. If not, try putting the pet's name in in place of the x's and the email should work.
Luzern
Hero

Grin  :the xs were in place of the real name Wink Wink Wink