Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Windows Sidebar, and other Windows rubbish stuff

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Deleting Windows Sidebar, and other Windows rubbish stuff

I have just tried to delete "Window Sidebar". from my C:/ drive.... however after the usual "warning" that "other progs may not run properly if I continue..." there appears another box with "you need permission to do this"...  so how do I get permission...?
Other "Bits" I would like to delete include
windows ....calendar
                      collaboration
                      journal
                      mail
                      photo gallery
                      sidebar.
by deleting the above,... I would gain almost 40Mb space for MY use and not taken up with stuff I don`t use....
any advice? on feasiblity.... risk.... and permission .... please.
26 REPLIES 26
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Deleting Windows Sidebar, and other Windows rubbish stuff

You would probably need to do it with administration rights
Which operating system are you using
shutter
Community Veteran

Sorry ... shud have mentioned that.... Vista Home Premium
How do I get Admin rights?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The actual answer is that it is built in to the windows operating system and although disabling it is straight forward
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-windows-sidebar-in-vista/
Removing it is much less easy and is not recommended.
If you really want to - and I don't recommend it - there are instructions here
http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/6803-uninstall-sidebar.html
I have to ask - are you really that short of space on your hard drive that 40MB would make the slightest bit of difference.
At risk of repeating myself - messing about with the Windows system files is not recommended and I personally wouldn't do it as you could easily finish up with a knackered system
shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm... Thanks Jim.... looks like I will just have to "live" with the unsuable space !... will heed your advice and not muck about with it ...Shame...
(i do have the sidebar disabled)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: shutter
I would gain almost 40Mb space for MY use and not taken up with stuff I don`t use....

Exactly how small is your hard drive?  What percentage of this capacity is 40MB?
My prediction is that you will find this is less than 1/4000 of the total capacity.
shutter
Community Veteran

My hard drive is actually 160Gb.... however 50% of that is dual boot with Linux Mint 10.... It is not just the amount of space... it is the "principle" of the thing.... why should I be hosting progs on my hdd that I do not want or need.?  and I should also be able to "dispose" of them without upsetting the OS...
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

My hard drive is actually 160Gb

So 160GB x 1/4000 = 40 MB - I was spot on!
.... however 50% of that is dual boot with Linux Mint 10....

Oh, but I didn't allow for that.  Shucks
It is not just the amount of space... it is the "principle" of the thing....

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Sweat-Small-Stuff-Stuff/dp/0340708018 .  Maybe somebody can buy it for you for Xmas?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

It is not just the amount of space... it is the "principle" of the thing.... why should I be hosting progs on my hdd that I do not want or need.? 

Blimey, how do you feel about service packs and Windows updates then?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Seriously okrzynska  and ReedRichards  can no one come on a forum for help any more without getting the 3RD Degree!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: ReedRichards
My hard drive is actually 160Gb

So 160GB x 1/4000 = 40 MB - I was spot on!
.... however 50% of that is dual boot with Linux Mint 10....

Oh, but I didn't allow for that.  Shucks
It is not just the amount of space... it is the "principle" of the thing....

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dont-Sweat-Small-Stuff-Stuff/dp/0340708018 .  Maybe somebody can buy it for you for Xmas?

If this is the level of "expertise". then I feel sorry for any future "help" and "advice" you give out on the forum.....
To put it another way.... If you haven`t anything useful to contribute..............................................DON`T.... Thank you..
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
It is not just the amount of space... it is the "principle" of the thing.... why should I be hosting progs on my hdd that I do not want or need.? 

Blimey, how do you feel about service packs and Windows updates then?

If Microsoft think that updates and bug fixes are important, then I see nothing wrong with installing them..... there is an intrinsic difference..... in case you hadn`t realised....
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Fair enough Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

[If this is the level of "expertise". then I feel sorry for any future "help" and "advice" you give out on the forum.....

What I was trying to contribute was to reinforce the notion (already put forward) that the gain does not justify the work involved. Shutter, you may not be receptive to that idea but I tried.  I thought the original question frivolous so replied in the same vein.  40 MB of programs you don't want on a 160 GB hard drive is not a serious problem!
If you look in Control Panel under Programs you should find an option that says something like "Turn Windows features on or off".  I would guess that is where to look but I don't know for sure that turning off a feature wins you back the space it occupied on the hard drive and I don't know if there are options for all the things you want to get rid of.      
shutter
Community Veteran

My original question was not "frivolous", in any form..... it was a serious request for information, help , and advice...
which was very succinctly answered by "Old Jim",... and acknowledged in y reply number 4

« Reply #4 on 01/12/2010, 20:40 »
Hmm... Thanks Jim.... looks like I will just have to "live" with the unsuable space !... will heed your advice and not muck about with it ...Shame...
(i do have the sidebar disabled)

which if you had been "alert" and had read the whole of the post and response, then your brain would have assured you of the facts before you let loose your fingers on the keyboard.
Once again, you let yourself down in the "I know what I am talking about" department, where you indicate that I should use "control panel " turn off features... and then qualify that poor advice with

but I don't know for sure that turning off a feature wins you back the space it occupied on the hard drive and I don't know if there are options for all the things you want to get rid of.

For somebody who tries to appear knowledgeable about computers,.... the above quote is indeed a shocking revelation.
and so, you did very little to reinforce any notions except those contained in my previous posting....