cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted in error

stourhead

Deleted in error

I have deleted a file in error.  Now I know that there is software which can be bought which can undelete files from a hard drive, but I have de-fragged my hard disk and also emtied the recycle bin since I deleted the file.  Is it a hopeless case ?
Am I right in thinking that there will be no trace left of my file ?  I think I know the answer but it does no harm to ask in the vain hope that there may be some way of retrieving it.  You hear stories of Police raids taking away computers and being able to retrieve old files but that probably only happens on TV !
Thanks for any advice.
6 REPLIES 6
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Deleted in error

There may be a chance providing you have not formatted the drive, no doubt others on the forum will be able to advise you further.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
launton
Grafter

You could try this free data recovery software.

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm
NedLudd
Grafter

Not much chance I'm afraid!
Deleted files are not really deleted. Their sectors are just flagged as being available for use.  Sad
Defragging the disc may have caused files to be occupying the sectors that the 'deleted' file was using.
Geoff,
York.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Perhaps time to learn the same lesson I did - take regular and relatively frequent backups Cry
At worst, a USB drive attached to the machine or the router and software to do it automagically (the latter is important) Smiley
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Try a freebie program called "Recuva".... it has a good "interface" where you can choose the specific type of file you are trying to recover... e.g.Pictures, music, documents, video, compressed, emails, or "other"... You then get the option of where to look for the file(s)  ( even "I`m not sure" ) ! ! ...
  If previous scans have failed to find it/them you also have an option box of "deep scan" 
All files found, will have a traffic light symbol next to them as to how " recoverable " they are...
Hope that helps....  Wink
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: stourhead
I have de-fragged my hard disk and also emtied the recycle bin since I deleted the file.  Is it a hopeless case ?

It's not hopeless but defragmenting the hard drive will have reduced your chances of success.  You are more likely to recover a small file intact than a large one.