cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted emails, and restore point in Vista (or any other O.S.)

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Deleted emails, and restore point in Vista (or any other O.S.)

Is it possible to restore "deleted" emails  (In  Vista  ) when you go back to a "restore point" before the deletion took place?
Unfortunately, an important email has been deleted, within the last 48 hours.
It has also been deleted from the "deleted" box
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Deleted emails, and restore point in Vista (or any other O.S.)

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Jim.... just downloaded it, and see if it can find the missing one...
Not applicable

Just as an FYI - all that the restore points do is restore system files and program files back to the state they were at a moment in time.
The restore process doesn't include user generated files, such as emails/docs/images/videos etc, so can't be used to help you in this situation.
Oldjim's suggestion, or similar products are probably the best solution to this situation - future backups are probably the best prevention. Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks James..... I wasn`t sure if emails could be restored. hence my question.....
@Jim..... the program worked. but did not come up with the elusive email.... there is a option to search for badly corrupted emails, but that only returned  question marks  for the corrupt emails, and to try to recover them, requires registration.... (which presumably means buying at $39.99)
Now I know what to look for, I`ll go and have a google !..
Thanks, both, for your help. much appreciated
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you havnt compacted your email boxes, all deleted emails are still in them, find the directory that the *.dbx files are in.  then open the one that had you e-mail in it with wordpad.  with a bit of work, you should be able to find the deleted  mail
Now it works with Win98 and XP, dont know Vista
Even better if you have a Hex viewer.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unfortunately that won't work with Windows Mail in Vista as it is all different http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mail
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.  Unfortunately, I think the elusive email has been corrupted, as several other "mail finder" programs returned the same "clean" emails as the first one Jimd suggested.
Lucky for us, the person who sent the original has contacted us again, (we were supposed to respond to the original!) and all is well again..... apart from the trip to Victoria Coach Station ! ! !
Thanks again Wink
Santiago
Grafter

I was wondering how your email accounts are set up. Do you have them set to keep a copy on the server? If you do and you delete an email by mistake you could go to your webmail and collect the email again from there. This would depend on the time period you set it to.
I have mine set to keep a copy on the server for 45 days. I do this because when I am travelling overseas and downloading my email in Outlook I don't want that to be the only copy and end up losing the mail or worse losing the laptop!
Enjoy your trip into the city!  Tongue
shutter
Community Veteran

No, I do not have them kept on the server..... so no chance for that avenue..... not a problem now, as I said, the people have got back in touch, and I have written down their email address, in case she deletes it again ! Grin
Enjoy ?  I don`t think so..... Undecided Undecided Undecided