cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete connected device

IanfLowe
Hooked

Delete connected device

How does one delete a device that is connected to the network. In the plusnet two hub manager when I enter my devices the list of devices are shown but one can only delete devices that are shown as disconnected. I need to delete a device that is connected how is this done?

21 REPLIES 21
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Delete connected device

@IanfLowe   Dunno !.... but maybe........ Power off the device, then check to see if it is still listed ( as disconnected? ) and then delete it ?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

Why delete it though, what do you think that will achieve?

IanfLowe
Hooked

I can't power off the device because I don't know what the device is. It might be someone using my wifi without my knowledge.

IanfLowe
Hooked

it'snot one of my devices as I have accounted for them all. I don't know what the device is and I don't want it on my network

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Can u see the MAC address ? There are sites that may help to identify the unknown device.

IanfLowe
Hooked

Yes I have done a search for the mac address and found no results.

IanfLowe
Hooked

Something weird about this device! I blocked it in the access control section on hub manager and both my wife's and daughters iPads were both blocked from using the internet but all other devices were working.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 421

iPads can be configured to use MAC randomisation (it might even be the default) https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-manage-or-disable-mac-randomization-in-ios-and-ipados-14...

That might well be your problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

I believe that the latest Apple and Android products use "spoofed" and randomised addresses as a security feature (I admit I do not fully understand this feature) and these appear on the connected device listings. This might explain why, having blocked them both IPads stopped connecting as these unidentified devices are actually associated with those devices. I have found that if you search on the web for these unidentified device MACs via the MAC address they do not always show up as associated with any "retail" company but may be unlisted or only be associated with a component manufacturer.

If you unblock them do the iPads start to connect again; and if you then disconnect the iPads do those unidentifed devices also show as unconnected. If so that id the reason and they are nothing to worry about.

@MisterW Beat me to it!

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

If it turns out not to be your wife's/daughter's iPads using some weird IP-switching mechanism:

You could always change either the key or network ID for the router. Obviously then all connected devices would then be disconnected, and you'd either have to give them the new key and/or name - though you could just do it temporarily, especially if whatever you're using to change settings in the router is wired to it rather than using the wifi.

Actually, a simpler option - again only if what you're using is wired! - would be just to turn the wifi off temporarily! The rogue device would then be disconnected, and you could delete it from the list. Unless the router firmware doesn't let you do so when the wifi is off.

Personally, I like having my wifi network named something I can recognise, rather than PlusNet-xxx or whatever. apart from anything else, that means I don't have to reconfigure all my connected devices when I change the router, I only change the router ID (and key). [Though in fact I currently only have one device - this laptop - connected to it!] Every router I've had has let you set the network name (and key).

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

Looking at my iPhone there is an option to use a "Private Wi-Fi Address". Not sure what that means but turning it on changes the MAC address....

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@G6JPG-0  Another of your overcomplicated replies confusing the issue, which has been identified as very likely to be the Apple randomised MAC address feature, nothing needs to be done the router settings. 

My router shows this type of Wi-Fi client ...... Client: 66:0d:11:0b:83:9b ((locally-adm.)

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

Another of your replies dissing my attempts to help.

It hasn't definitely been identified as the iPhone thing - but even if it is, my post started with "if it doesn't turn out to be the iPhone thing". If it is that, then there would be no reason for anyone affected to read my post beyond that line (which was the first one).

Please don't diss those trying to help others.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 84

@IanfLowe 

Something weird about this device! I blocked it in the access control section on hub manager and both my wife's and daughters iPads were both blocked from using the internet but all other devices were working.

Do you have more than one device sharing the same name?

On the device itself try renaming it, hopefully it will show up in the connected devices list with it's new name. The device should also display it's MAC address

@G6JPG-0 

I have an large  number of posts 'liked' by you, is this intentional are are you touching the 'Like' button when scrolling through threads?