cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delaying download to a later time

Surfer
Grafter

Delaying download to a later time

If I wanted to download a large file in the early hours of the morning, what do I need to do in order to make this happen without having to get up at some silly hour as the compute will probably go into standby?  Is it possible?  Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Delaying download to a later time

where from and which operating system
Surfer
Grafter

Win 7 and want to download Sky On demand
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Moved to the Windows board and I don't know how, not having Sky, but others will I am sure
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

First you'll need to change the power settings on your computer via the control panel > power settings. You'll need to disable the standby feature after X minutes.
Then you will need a download manager program. I use Flashget which will allow you to set a date and time to start a file download. It's a great download manager and the best of all that I've ever used. In the options there is a schedule tab that allows you to select the days and times to start and stop downloads. When you input a new download you will see near the bottom a radio button called scheduled which will then use the days / times you set in the options.
I used to do this all the time on 56k as it was the only real way to download stuff overnight and flashget always did the job brilliantly for me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Surfer
Grafter

Thanks.  Very helpful.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

If it helps, here's a very quick graphical demo of how to use it / setup scheduling:

Then (if you're downloading immediately or later in the night) you'll see this:

Finally, when it's finished, you need to click this:

Select the downloaded file, then press CONTROL + ENTER. Flashget will open up a windows explorer file to your downloads directory and highlight the file for you.
One thing to note about Flashget is that it supports pause and resume so if it doesn't finish your download by the time the "stop downloading at" time is reached, it will pause it and continue it when the "start at" time comes around again. It's a very good download manager and I've never found one yet that can match it. If you want to download in the day you can also manually set a speed limit for the download so that you can still use your internet for other things.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks Sprite, a nice little guide that may be useful for many users.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slightly off topic....
You can set up a SKY+HD box to delay downloading, through a menu, but you have to start the downloads yourself...
What you would need to do is set up your list of recordings from On Demand.
In your planner, you have a tab called "Downloads", in here the blue button option at the bottom of the menu will be to "Pause All".

You should "Pause All" after setting up the first download, all others you add will then be paused too.

If you pause the downloads until the time you want to be able to schedule them to download (ie at midnight), then when you want to download them, un-pause the list by pressing the blue button in the download tab.    MANUALLY..... once, to un-pause all      
If you are asleep at midnight, or otherwise engaged, just start the downloads early in the morning, say 6am.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@sprite:- thanks, good information and guide Roll_eyes
Surfer
Grafter

Any idea on how long it would take to download a 2 hour film if your speed is on average during the day about 5mb?  Thanks for all the useful advice.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

In standard definition, probably about an hour.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Surfer
Grafter

So if we factor in and extra 30 minutes for HD, we should be okay?  Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'll find HD may take 3x as long as an SD download, it certainly uses 3x more HDD space on SKY+HD.

BBC iPlayer HD tend to be double SD size mb downloaded to computer..