Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Definitve list of alternative programs?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Definitve list of alternative programs?

Now that I have the basic needs of my Linux MInt 11 Laptop, working (reasonably well) !  Cheesy
I wondered if there is a website that has a list of Windows programs, that work on Linux through the "WINE" app, ......
and/or
a list of alternative Linux programs....I don`t mean just a list of linux apps, programs,.... but compared to the actual windows "only" program....
e.g.  my favourite picture viewer and adjuster is Irfanview.... it is not supported by linux except via the WINE app...
(yes I know about GIMP  - dont like it - and that there are other progs listed for Linux in the packages etc. )
just wanted a short cut version of the listings, IF there is one available...
There are other progs that I use, that are not directly supported by Linux, and also don`t work with the WINE app, and this is where I wondered if there was a list of alternatives.
18 REPLIES 18
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Definitve list of alternative programs?

This http://appdb.winehq.org/ is supposed to be the Wine application compatibility site.
As for Linux alternatives this http://www.linuxalt.com/ is a starting point.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks, will have a look, at both, and see what I can use..  Wink
matt_2k34
Grafter

Alternative to
is very useful
Search for the software you want, it then gives you everything "similar" - and what OS they run on.
Regards
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for that Matt... will give it a go...  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Had a look at the linkys.... one prog I am looking for is an alternative to "Eraser" or "Free Internet Eraser"... looking on the "Alternativeto" site, there does not seem to be anything that will "securely erase" (to US DOD or MOD standards) with an overwrite choice of 3 to 7 times....
Unless someone on here knows of such an eraser program.... ?
matt_2k34
Grafter

id have to ask, what are you browsing that you dont want recovering  Embarrassed Grin
Surely its better to just do a secure format every now n then? by constantly erasing over the platter you cant be doing the hdd much good (it will probably get pretty warm doing that kind of stressful action)
I dont see why you'd want it though tbh??
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Matt_2k34

id have to ask, what are you browsing that you dont want recovering  Embarrassed Grin

I`m not saying............................... that`s why I want it  ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬ ¬  !
I don`t want to erase the whole HDD..... just "some" files and folders,    Delete only removes the name of the file, (In most cases) and "some" of the file itself, but that file can usually be recovered...
e.g. If I write a letter to my bank... and in time the content is no longer relevant, I would like to be able to "erase" that letter, (file) with overwrite 3 to 7 times to prevent it being recovered in future...
Ben_Brown
Grafter

You can use the 'shred' command, it's part of the coreutils package so you should already have it. Take a look at the man page for more details.
shutter
Community Veteran

Ugh!.... looks like hard work...  Shocked 
  I really want a prog that is already installed, and when I Right click on the file/folder it has the option to "Erase" in the same drop down menu as  "delete" or "move" as if moving a pic file. etc.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You can install the "nautilus-actions" package, then configure that to add whatever you want to the right-click menu.
shutter
Community Veteran

and to do that .... I must............. Undecided
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Run "nautilus-actions-config-tool" it is already installed, so use Alt-F2
then create a new option like this attached screeny
change the -n5 to how many overwrites you want.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Actually, does nautilus-actions have the ability to ask for confirmation? If not, it needs a script written.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

He didn't ask for conformation just to be able to select and erase this will do that.