cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decent Home Video Capture kit?

God
Grafter

Decent Home Video Capture kit?

Somebody has asked me if I will transfer some video footage to DVD for them.
Has anyone (preferably) used or know of a decent and reasonably priced video capture solution. I need to get good results as I will probably ask for this person to foot the bill for the hardware. I would be very embarrassed to then hand back a low quality conversion!
Any thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Decent Home Video Capture kit?

Hi God, A very similar post to this came up a few weeks ago, and I started off some controversy by suggesting getting hold of a VHS/DVD combi recorder, which can be obtained for quite low cost these days. It all boiled down to how much editing you want to do. If it's just straight forward transfer, then the combi is the one to go for, it's largely automatic and pretty seamless. Much more complex then search through this forum for some excellent options.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
God
Grafter

It's certainly a thought!
God
Grafter

@PJ... If only!
The video tape was produced by a commercial outfit, even though it is footage of a friend’s children during their school days. It is apparently considered a copyrighted film and the transfer houses she has visited have all refused to move it to DVD on the basis that it is copyrighted material.
It seems ridiculous to me as she obviously paid through the nose for the Video cassette!
petlew
Pro

God, send me a PM I can reply to.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
God
Grafter

petlew - I have sent you a sign from God. Peace be with you.
petlew
Pro

God, I sent you an extensive reply, but it hasn't appeared in my outbox...have you received it?

added edit
Ah ha, I think I might have failed to tick to save it!!!

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

God
I have a setup that seems to work OK. I have a bog standard video recorder, with SCART, commected to a TV card on my PC, the TV card only had S-Video, Componant Video and (L), (R) sound inputs. I have a Scart Converter on the video SCART, to move it to the correct inputs for the TV card. I then use either Windows MEdia Player, or PowerDirector 6 to transfer the video and sound to the PC. Power Director 6 allows me to Make DVD menus as well. This can then be saved in a DV-AVI format. I then use Nero Recode, or NeroVision Express to encode the DV-AVI file to MPEG for DVD, and this also burns it to a DVD as well. Its a bit long winded but works OK for me, files are not bad quality at all.
God
Grafter

Thanks for the advice penfold and the message petlew.
I used to have a video card that had inputs and did some vidieo conversion back in the Super VCD / Single layer days 😉
Sadly, and annoyingly as I have upgrded PC's I have lost the video inputs in favour of a duel head card.