cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead monitor, repair or replace

Santiago
Grafter

Dead monitor, repair or replace

I have a four  year old Viewsonic monitor that has been trouble free, until today!
The monitor powers on but the power light is flashing on and off and the screen is blank (black) with the odd flash when I can briefly see the desktop.
I plugged my son's monitor in to the PC and that worked fine.
Question is, is it worth trying to get it fixed or should I just get another one?
70 REPLIES 70
James
Grafter

Re: Dead monitor, repair or replace

Get a new one.  They're so cheap these days.
My 24" Viewsonic cost me £200 and I love it to bits Cheesy
mal0z
Grafter

No contest - I totally agree with James .
Repair cost will approach renewal cost and technology has moved on rather a lot in those four years
Rich
Grafter

If the video cable isn't captive at the monitor end, it might be worth trying another one for the sake of a couple of quid.
Richard
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Do you get a "no video" message when you switch the PC off, but the monitor is on.
If not - it's kaput!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

If you can "see" the desktop but it very dark, then the inverter board has gone, you could try ebay for a replacement if you are competent in fitting it yourself otherwise a new 19" monitor goes for sub £100 now. Repair would probably set you back £60-80 anyway.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Cheap as chips to repair to be honest.
If its anything like most generic monitors these days you'll find 6 470uF electrolytic caps in the back. Replace them all and you're good again.
Done it twice myself but you do need to be a dab hand with a soldering iron and desoldering tools!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Santiago
Grafter

I have tried different cables without success
I can't see if there are any messages coming up as the screen is black with just an occasional faint flash of the desktop image.
I am disappointed this monitor has failed, prematurely I think. I  just looked up the invoice, actually bought it April 2006 and paid £154 for it.
I can't even see how to get the back off the damn thing so I might ask our local TV repair guy to check it out as a last resort, he is a bit of a boffin.
Anyway thanks for the suggestions and advice, maybe a new one is required then!  It won't be a Viewsonic though. Angry
scootie
Grafter

let me know how you get on with that santiago. my sisters monitor did spot on the same thing. started bout 4 weeks ago and did the old am working, now am not trick when you first turned it on. to the point where last week it just refused to come on full stop.
ive set her laptop up to remote desktop in to the machine so she can still work on all her uni work for the time being before i sort a new one out but if it's cheaper enough to get a repair guy sort it then i might try that first
does any one knows how to get auto cad and 3dmax to work over remote desktop, the genric video driver remote desktop uses dosent render the workspace full stop.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Santiago
I can't even see how to get the back off the damn thing so I might ask our local TV repair guy to check it out as a last resort, he is a bit of a boffin.
Anyway thanks for the suggestions and advice, maybe a new one is required then!  It won't be a Viewsonic though. Angry

Some of them have 2 little screw driver type slots in the side of the case. You have to split them open. I've got a dell 15" 1504fp sat here like that waiting for my attention (same symptoms).
Personally I still can't see a repair cost coming up to the same price as a new one myself. If you've got that much cash to throw away then at least put your old one on ebay or something. People like me like to buy them up and fix them. Not everyone can afford to buy a new one!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Santiago
Grafter

Got the back off (using plastic tyre levers) took a look inside, sighed, and then put it back together Sad
I called the TV repair man and he says he does monitors too. So I am taking it tomorrow for an estimate/looksee
artificer
Grafter

does it have a separate power supply?  one of mine got zapped by lightning and i was able to get another quite cheap.
Santiago
Grafter

No it does not have a separate power supply, just the regular kettle cable.
The TV repair man was muttering about the power supply when I spoke to him on the phone yesterday, so we shall see.
paulby
Grafter

You could try Omi Monitor Repair.  I used them earlier this year to get my BenQ monitor fixed - it only needed the inverter board replaced which cost me a whole £25 (plus carriage)!! See this page.
Santiago
Grafter

Thanks for the link, that looks quite a professional set up, they could be my next option. The TV man has the monitor now "having a look at it". So I am waiting with baited breath to see what happens.
Undecided