Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead monitor, repair or replace

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Dead monitor, repair or replace

But they're all wide screen  Shocked
Does no-one sell normal square screens anymore? - I don't want to play games in widescreen.....
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why not?
You could play two games side by side. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Because wide screen stretches the real picture unless it is specifically designed for it (ie with the black stripe at the top and bottom so that the picture can be enlarged).
Most folk don't even realise that their widescreen TVs are actually just stretching the image unless the picture is broadcast suitable for it. If you have a widescreen TV switch back to 14:9 and you'll be amazed at the difference.
I like widescreen but only when it is used properly for imagery which was designed for it. Anything else should naturally be on a normal square screen for which it was probably made for.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobDickson
Grafter

biker955: In that case, if you paid by credit card, claim against the credit card company.
Santiago: Have you tried contacting Bolton trading standards yet?
http://www.bolton.gov.uk/website/pages/Tradingstandards.aspx?bid=46
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
I like widescreen but only when it is used properly for imagery which was designed for it. Anything else should naturally be on a normal square screen for which it was probably made for.

I think (but am prepared to be corrected Smiley ) that most TV programmes have for some time been recorded/transmitted in 16:9 and that 4:3 TVs actually chop off a bit of the picture. Obviously older stuff recorded in 4:3 will have to be mangled to fit a 16:9 screen.
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: Rob
Santiago: Have you tried contacting Bolton trading standards yet?
http://www.bolton.gov.uk/website/pages/Tradingstandards.aspx?bid=46

No I didn't. I only called Scan on Saturday. I will contact trading standards during the week. Thanks for the link.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I know of at least one program that is still transmitted live in 4.3 standard
scootie
Grafter

family guy on bbc3 is pumped out at 4:3 and i belive i think most of itv4 if not there is one channel on the freeview line up that seems to be all in 4:3
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my one is Ideal World Shopping channel, do not buy anything but wife likes the craft demos, chose freeview or freesat
scootie
Grafter

am currently using a sky box with out card and any freeview/free to air channels that dont unlock in the skys tvguide i just find the settings for the channel and add them manualy. only downside is you have to go to other channels to sselect them and theres no tvguide for them.
i use tvcatchup on any tv /monitors that are under 20inch, thoe when they get round to adding a choice of higher Q streams i may be be able to use tvcatchup through out the house
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Because wide screen stretches the real picture unless it is specifically designed for it (ie with the black stripe at the top and bottom so that the picture can be enlarged).

I believe there are options in both Nvidia and ATi driver bundles where you can set the aspect ratio so that a 4:3 picture will display as 4:3 with black bars down the side. Also a lot of newer games support wide-screen output don't they?