Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead monitor, repair or replace

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Dead monitor, repair or replace

It matters not, that the item was "faulty at point of sale"... the key words are " fit for purpose"..
here is a nice little link well worth reading....
http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

here is a small part of it...  (the lines in red are my changing)
For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).
• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.
• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit
In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).
• If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)
• After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.
Hope that helps
EDIT EDIT EDIT
if you want to read the "official" document
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023045.htm
RobDickson
Grafter

That's the same link that I posted earlier.....
It's worth mentioning the Sale of Goods Act, but, unfortunately, if the retailer doesn't agree, I think you'll need an expert witness to state that the monitor isn't "fit for purpose" and that expert witness will probably expect to be paid. Still, it's always worth complaining.
Santiago
Grafter

I bought it from Scan in Bolton.
I will call them on Monday although as I never heard back from the repair guy I don't think I even have a monitor any more to complain about Sad
RobDickson
Grafter

Good luck.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Santiago
I bought it from Scan in Bolton.

Are you sure you got the spelling right?  Roll_eyes
RobDickson
Grafter

It looks correct to me.
www.scan.co.uk/
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Axisofevil
However, it is very doubtful that a 3 year old monitor (an electronic item) would be deemed to be faulty when sold.

Actually its quite probable that it was faulty. As stated further back in this thread I've repaired LCD monitors myself. The common weak point is the electrolytic capacitors used in the power supply boards. Years ago the chinese apparently stole the formula for making them from the americans. The formula was only a partial one and so cheap chinese electrolytic caps don't last properly and can start leaking after just a few years of use.
Now.. where does most of the world buy its cheap parts?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I doubt it - the basic principles were taught to us at school about 30 years ago Grin
Wikipedia says about (their early history)
History
There is no clear inventor of the electrolytic capacitor. It is one of the many technologies that spent many years as a laboratory curiosity, a classic "solution looking for a problem" device.
The principle of the electrolytic capacitor was discovered in 1886 by Charles Pollak, as part of his research into anodizing of aluminum and other metals. Pollack discovered that due to the thinness of the aluminum oxide layer produced, there was a very high capacitance between the aluminum and the electrolyte solution. A major problem was that most electrolytes tended to dissolve the oxide layer again when the power is removed, but he eventually found that sodium perborate (borax) would allow the layer to be formed and not attack it afterwards. He was granted a patent for the borax-solution aluminum electrolytic capacitor in 1897.

Obviously things moved on a bit since then...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

Well obviously I was wrong. It wasn't the chinese after all. The formula theft however I still stand by and to prove it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague#Cause_of_the_failing_capacitors
Cause of the failing capacitors
In one case, the cause of failing electrolytic capacitors was industrial espionage gone wrong. Several Taiwanese electrolyte manufacturers began using a stolen formula that was incomplete, and lacked ingredients needed to produce a stable capacitor.[5] (An anti-corrosion ingredient was not documented, reported in comp.risks.[6])
When a faulty capacitor is charged, the water-based electrolyte becomes unstable and breaks down, producing hydrogen gas. Since these types of capacitors are sealed in an aluminium casing, the pressure builds up within the capacitor until either the flat metal top of the capacitor begins to bend, or the rubber sealing plug is pushed down. Eventually the pressure exceeds the strength of the metal casing and venting occurs, either by blowing out the rubber bottom of the capacitor, or bursting the scored metal vent on the top of the capacitor. When an electrolytic capacitor bursts, effects can range from a pop and a hissing noise to a small explosion. Venting is typically messy, and the acidic electrolyte must be cleaned off the motherboard to prevent further damage.
IEEE Spectrum covered the issue,[5] and later estimated that the problem cost US$100 million to fix.[7]

Clearly if you'd looked down at the external links and clicked on capacitor plague you might of noticed. Instead you just decided to try and shoot me down. Next you'll be telling me that industrial espionage is the stuff of science fiction.
Do you honestly think I didn't do my research into why LCD monitors keep failing?
Why the hell does everyone treat me like I'm thick all the time?  Angry
Santiago
Grafter

Ok after a couple of reminders the TV rip off repair man called me today with estimate for repairs to the monitor.
85 pounds...power supply and associated bits and pieces.
I will optimistically call Scan for their opinion but it looks like it will be going on Ebay for sale for spares. 
Thanks for the advice and moral support  Smiley
7up
Community Veteran

You mean you can get a new monitor for less than that?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: okrzynska

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague#Cause_of_the_failing_capacitors
Cause of the failing capacitors
In one case, the cause of failing electrolytic capacitors was industrial espionage gone wrong. Several Taiwanese electrolyte manufacturers began using a stolen formula that was incomplete, and lacked ingredients needed to produce a stable capacitor.[5] (An anti-corrosion ingredient was not documented, reported in comp.risks.[6])

Clearly if you'd looked down at the external links and clicked on capacitor plague you might of noticed. Instead you just decided to try and shoot me down. Next you'll be telling me that industrial espionage is the stuff of science fiction.

If I had clicked on Capacitor Plague, I would have seen
This section may contain original research or unverified claims. Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details.

Do you honestly think I didn't do my research into why LCD monitors keep failing?

The article you quoted was about PC PSU's / motherboards.
Why don't televisions and CRT's keep failing?

Why the hell does everyone treat me like I'm thick all the time?  Angry

I wasn't aware that it is a problem for you. Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

This section may contain original research or unverified claims. Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details.

Yes it does say that, but that was the first reference to it I could find without trawling google to prove a point.
The article you quoted was about PC PSU's / motherboards.

Oh apparently LCD monitors aren't there!
The capacitor plague (also known as bad capacitors) involved the common premature failure of certain brands of electrolytic capacitors used in various electronics equipment, and particularly in motherboards, video cards, compact fluorescent lamp ballasts, LCD monitors, and power supplies of personal computers.

The first flawed capacitors were seen in 1999, but most of the affected capacitors were made in the early to mid 2000s, and while news of their failures (usually after a few years of use) has forced most manufacturers to fix the defects, some bad capacitors were still being sold or integrated into designs as of early 2007[update].[1]

Tongue
CRTs use different power supplies for a start. Many modern LCD TVs do fail. The older ones are far more robust. Don't forget there are many CRT devices out there made prior to 1999 which while dated are still going strong.
mal0z
Grafter

Electrolytic capacitors were regarded as one of the least reliable electronic components long before 1999.
Back in the 60/70's I worked for Marconi and was taught all about it then.
When we refurbished some old equipment - every electrolytic capacitor was replaced. Rather easier than today as then old equipment didn't have Printed circuit boards.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

My 32" LCD failed after 25 months (Guess what warranty was 24 months :'() Finally managed to get it repaired (11 months later) and guess what faulty caps taking out an ic in the PSU., total cost was £60 (I removed the PSU and sent it away, as local repair shop couldn't fix it) which I could have done without, but a working tv is essential for SWMBO.