Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead Laptop

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Dead Laptop

I have had an acer laptop for 15 months and today it just stopped working as I was using it.  I tried to power it back up and tried it with the charger but nothing.  The strange thing is the mouse pad and vent on the back is still warm 4 hours later.  It is not under warranty so I think I will have to buy another one, a better make this time.  Has anyone ecperience of similar?
4 REPLIES 4
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Dead Laptop

unplug it and remove the battery.
leave out for an hour or so.
connect it back up and try again.
Mav
Fixes: 514

When I had a similar problem some time ago it was also suggested that I press the power button for around 30 seconds without the power cable or battery inserted.
Not sure what this does or why it worked but it did Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

southken
Rising Star

Thank you so much Chenks and Mav, when I took the battery out and started it with just the charger it worked.  I've read since that it is quite common with acer and it's to do with it overheating and automatically shutting down.  Thanks again, hopefully I'll get a bit longer out of it.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: Mav
When I had a similar problem some time ago it was also suggested that I press the power button for around 30 seconds without the power cable or battery inserted.
Not sure what this does or why it worked but it did Cool

it closes the circuit  so the cmos battery is disconnected from the various sensors and simultaneously discharges any residual charge in the power supply capacitors effectively acting as the reset pin on many devices you had to use when swapping batteries/
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you