Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead Laptop Battery - Revival?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Dead Laptop Battery - Revival?

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200, about 4 years old, I have already mentioned this in a previous post, and the battery is DEAD !.... so googling around and looking on YouTube, I came across this littel gem....

(have a look it is only about 30 seconds !....)
I wondered if anyone else on the forum has tried this, and found out if it really works....
The battery does have a warning about not exposing the battery to temperature above 60deg C  (140deg F)  but nothing about how cold it can go.....
(as a normal freezer is less than - 20 deg C , I can`t see it being much of a problem, as various countries around the northern hemisphere get a lot colder than that..... yay they may have special batteries.... but then again..... they may not.... and what if I decided to move to one of those countries, there is no warning on the battery to say how cold it can get, so assume it is safe.... )
8 REPLIES 8
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Dead Laptop Battery - Revival?

I'm no chemist and can't explain what may be happening inside the battery, but I doubt if it is a long time fix.
Electronic equipment is indeed to work down to a range of temperatures form low to high. Most computers such as laptops may not work at very low temperatures - whereas those designed to work in things such as road vehicles, aircraft etc.. clearly have to work to a wider temperature range.
Pierre may know more about this  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

most equipment I have seen dont like cold to the reachable -40 in Finland, and also have warning against high temperatures, A neighbour of mine used to work for Eveready, I will see if he knows
grimme
Grafter

This company based in US appear to be able to refill batteries and have international shipping options. Your Dell seems to be rebuildable for $79 - it also suggests that it could be a battery that was part of a Dell recall - so you could check that out.

www.batteryrebuild.com

shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I know about the battery recall, that happened about 6 months after I bought it...!... fortunately mine was not in the specified "danger list".... !
Actually, have since opened up the battery case, and found that it gives 11.24 volts on my meter..... see my other post  " Dell Laptop Battery electronic problem"

$79 is roughly £50 so add in the postage for a half pound package, and the time factor, it would be uneconomical to go to the states for a solution..... Thank you for trying to help... Wink
Hary
Grafter

I've just done a Google for my IBM battery, looks as though they start around £28, trouble is they are not very forthcoming about the delivery charge.
Looks as though Ebay is good idea. If you buy from Hongkong it will take three weeks to get here. (they are still getting over the Christmas rush)
See these for yours.
http://computers.shop.ebay.co.uk/Batteries-/14295/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=dell%20inspiron%202200&_c...
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for checking it out .... ......  ..... Yes, I have another thread on a related subject..... !  I have stripped the casing off the battery and tested it with a voltmeter, it gives a good reading., so it is charged ... problem is the laptop doesn`t recognise it,... so have "given up" on revival techniques...... I think there may well be a "chip" on the little circuit board at the end of the battery, that holds a "use by" date/period . to make gullible people buy a new one.! ! ! !  (like printer cartridges).... I could remove the circuit board, and re solder it to see if it works..... could be interesting.... but it may also be a "limiting" circuit, to prevent overloading something in the laptop motherboard.....  Undecided
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You need to measure the voltage "on load".
An ancient battery can give a full voltage - which falls substantially when you use it (internal resistance etc)...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Rich
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
I could remove the circuit board, and re solder it to see if it works..... could be interesting.... but it may also be a "limiting" circuit, to prevent overloading something in the laptop motherboard.....  Undecided

I'd keep a fire-extinguisher handy if you try this Shocked