cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data transfer

Roberto0151
Grafter

Data transfer

Having taken delivery of my first replacement computer,  I'm now faced with the job of  transferring all my docs., pics., etc. from the old computer to the new.  I think I saw some  time ago some info about a programme (or maybe a gadget) which could help with this, but have been unable so far to trace it (except at some cost.)
Can anyone offer any suggestion please?
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Data transfer

The quick way is to connect both computers to the router and create a network.with the correct permissions
You can then move anything between the two
If this is possible then please advise the two operating systems and I am sure someone will be able to assist
Of course the other question is how many of them are there (total space used) as it may be easier to burn them to a few DVD's and transfer them while retaining a backup on the DVD's
I will lay odds you haven't been backing up your data have you
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Windows Easy Transfer may do what you require....depending on operating systems.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Roberto0151
Grafter

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.
@ Oldjim- Sorry you're wrong!  I do a weekly back up to an external HD using Acronis 11 Roll_eyes    (But I wouldn't be at all sure how to reload the system in an emergency)
@ Strat.  Windows easy transfer sounds as if it MIGHT be easier for a simple soul like me.  The transfer is XP to Win8, and without checking I guess no more than abt. 50 Gb or so
Anyway I'll take some time to have a look at it.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

This might help http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/transfer-files-settings-another-pc
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Roberto0151
Having taken delivery of my first replacement computer, 

Replacement in the sense that you want to get rid of your old one after transferring your files to the new computer?
I would be very wary of any program that offers to transfer files and settings between computers running different versions of Windows.  Transferring files is fine but the settings used for one version of Windows may be wholly inappropriate for a newer version.
I do a weekly back up to an external HD using Acronis 11 Roll_eyes    (But I wouldn't be at all sure how to reload the system in an emergency)

Then now is the ideal time to learn.  You need to "restore" your documents to the new computer.  To do this you will first need to either transfer Acronis to the new computer or create a boot disc that you can run on the new computer.
Roberto0151
Grafter

Just to say thanks for the comments/advice.  I think I've fixed most of it now.
The old machine is not going to be scrapped as it's still in good shape but is too old to be updated when WinXP comes to the end of its life, and it will be kept off line for the wife to play with when/if she feels like learning how to use a computer. Smiley
On thinking carefully, I realized that much of the stuff in "my documents" is unused junk, so I pared it down to a size which went on a DVD which I could easily xfer to the new comp.and the old rubbish will still be available for a while on the old machine.  Also it's still available to use with the old printer so that I can defer buying a printer that can be used with the Win8 machine.
Although I like the new laptop and am slowly learning to like Win8, I really do wish MS would leave us in peace and not keep forcing us to buy lots of stuff we neither want nor need. Angry
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

..., I really do wish MS would leave us in peace and not keep forcing us to buy lots of stuff we neither want nor need. Angry

I'm surprised that your old printer does not work with Windows 8, assuming that is what prompted your comment.  But if it doesn't work then it's not just down to Microsoft.  The manufacturers of your printer could make it work with Windows 8 if they wanted to.  Microsoft could engineer better backwards compatibility if they wanted to.  But there is a tacit conspiracy between Microsoft and the manufacturers of hardware and software for Windows that gives them a convenient opportunity to 'expire' their product each time a new version of Windows is released.
kmilburn
Grafter

Microsoft don't have to engineer backward compatibility,  they just need to engineer a system where they don't keep changing the API between versions of windows.
But, as you allude to,  that wouldn't be compatible with the programmed obsolescence that the hardware manufacturers like!