cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data transfer gadget not recognising drive

community
Grafter

Data transfer gadget not recognising drive

I have recently bought a wonderful gadget called Double Dragon S-ATA&IDE to USB2.0 which is a great piece of external hardware for transferring and saving data from a PC or CD-ROM and other uses.
I have used it with success on my newest PC    (-MB’s model name: Foxconn K8M890M2MB-RSH Micro ATX
-BIOS version: Phoenix Technologies,LTD 6.00 PG,23/04/07
-CPU type and model: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ 1MBCache
-Memory model name, quantity: Kingston KVR800D2N5/1G
-VGA card’s model name and driver version:
-Power Supply mode name: Casecom Silver 500W ATX
-HDD drives: Seagate 160GB 7200rpm SATA11 8MB Cache
-Optical drives:
- Operating system and service pack level: WindowsXP+SP3)

It uses a USB2.0 connection from the gadget to the PC and transfers and saves as a backup all your files on your HD's to any old HDD you may have lying around from previoius PC's
It's a real dream of a gadget and every home should have one!
However, I tried it on my "other PC" which is a bout 5 years old but still working perfectly with XP Home O/S and for some reason it recognises the USB2.0 connection but not the gadget (as another disk).
Anybody have an opinion about it?Please...I promise to be grateful for any help  Wink
cheers
Eddie Johnson
However,
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Data transfer gadget not recognising drive

Can you advise the model of motherboard and bios in the old PC as I suspect that the support for USB 2 may be a bit dodgy without a bios upgrade
community
Grafter

Thanks for your interest Jim
The old PC motherboard is AS ROCK  P4VX4  Bios 1.20    The original Motherboard dates from 2003.
I cannot remember updating the Bios at any time but there have been no previous problems and it  has certainly behaved itself until a few months ago.
cheers#
Eddie Johnson
But hold it a while please...I have just lost all the data from the PC and am re-installing the original XP O/S
I will get back when I can!  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Eddie,
Obviously it should work as that motherboard supports USB2. One thing to try - it seems odd but it may help - go into the bios and enable USB Device legacy support which is disabled by default. It comes under Advanced Chipset Configuration
The next thing to try is when it is connected right click on My Computer  then Manage and see if anything is showing up under storage.
If that doesn't help then perhaps some of the more technically competent members (most of them)  can assist.
community
Grafter

Thank you for your continued help.
However, I decided last evening to contact Taiwan (ASROCK) with a request for advice.
They came back this morning with a suggestion that I changed over the 'Power to USB' connector on the Motherboard from pins2/3 to 1/2 and it has worked!!!!!!!
Amazing.
Just shows that it is perhaps better to ask the manufacturers first, instead of trying to work it out ourselves.
I am glad that ASROCK are on the ball....I know from experience that lots of Manufacturers (who shall be nameless) would not have been so efficient.
Thansk again to all for your help.
regards
Eddie Johnson
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is odd as the manual implied that that was the default setting. It would appear that this has disabled USB and PS2 wake up events