Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Recovery live-usb

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Data Recovery live-usb

I've lost all my data to a hdd format that was unintentional Sad  at the moment i'm Using Runtime live-cd and scanning get data back for NTFS, all seems positive atm, but it is just a scan. Any pointers please guys' ?
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Data Recovery live-usb

What data do you need back? All of it, or just docs/pics?
I used extundelete on an ext4 drive, but have never had to recover from an ntfs partition (don't have any  ;))
Photorec is recommended along with its suite.
30FTTC06
Pro

I just want pics/docs back, i've seem them in runtime! But they want 73 dollars.
I'm trying systemrescueCD atm, well having fun with it more like! Lots of tools.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

30FTTC06
Pro

Cheers Hairy McBiker i'll have a mooch at that lot as well, i never bothered before with saving stuff, but this time i got caught out because i forgot my veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long password for MEGA  Shocked
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: 30FTTC06
I've lost all my data to a hdd format that was unintentional Sad  at the moment i'm Using Runtime live-cd and scanning get data back for NTFS, all seems positive atm, but it is just a scan. Any pointers please guys' ?

Is it the whole disc or just one partition?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

30FTTC06
Pro

The whole disc has been formatted, ie, I was putting mint 16 onto a usb drive, for some strange reason i messed up on the drive selection somehow, so i've ended up with a hdd that was dual-boot win7/ubuntu, to now a formatted drive unbootable with an iso of mint 16rc sitting on it. I've already seen the files i wish to recover with a live cd of runtime, but that will cost about $80. fyi the win7 boot had 3 partitions!  C,D,E.
I believe the files are recoverable with the correct software which i've not yet found free anyway.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Don't boot your PC with your hard disk in a writable condition until you have extracted the needed files.
Why does it cost $80 to recover files?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

30FTTC06
Pro

I used SystemRescueCd http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage Great Live tool to have, Testdisk helped me recover everything i needed off the drive, i must admit i was taken back just how much data that can be recovered from a formatted drive. I have to tip my hat to this resource as well http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ Brilliant info and tools. I must also admit i have never needed to recover data, but with a little reading and understanding of penguin power, all will be well. I was dissapointed with gparted in all honesty, it couldn't wipe my drive properly! i had to download a proper dos manager from my hhd suppliers web site to get the thing clean. Another great tool i used here http://rufus.akeo.ie/ for creating a bootable dos usb stick.
Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom

Why does it cost $80 to recover files?

Well i'm happy to say it didn't cost me a penny in the end, but i will be making a donation to www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk Very impressed.