cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD finalising options

bubbalicious
Grafter

DVD finalising options

I need to create some video disks of a kiddies pantomime show. I usually have no problem, I put the master disk in and use either Roxio or PMB disk creator to copy it but this time I am getting the message that the disk needs to be finalised.  I am able to play the disk on my TV's DVD recorder without any problem, but in my laptop  - it's not even watchable - it just wizzzes and there is nothing showing in the DVD contents looking at it in windows explorer!
I am guessing they used a Camcorder to video the show (it is just a normal DVD+R disk), and should have finalised it using the camcorder, but I was wondering if there is any way around sending it back to them to get it finalised? Could I use the 'finalise' option on my TV's DVD recorder/player or something on the laptop or does it need to be finalised by what created it?  Huh
Can anyone lend me their brain please - do I need to send it  to them or is there a way to avoid putting them to the trouble?
Cheers peeps, any help as always is fab,
Cheesy
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: DVD finalising options

IF it is playable in your dvd recorder I would let it finalise it. The reason that your pc's dvd drive doesn't recognise it is that it has been written in "packet mode" which is like multi session but without closing the disk between writes.
bubbalicious
Grafter

I used the TV DVD recorder to finalise the disk and it all went fine until I put the disk in the laptop and now we have video with no sound!  Put the disk back in the TV DVD recorder and we have sound and video!  Checked all my volume /sound / speaker settings on the laptop and I can hear all sounds fine, have put in other DVDs and they have sound, just not this one I finalised.
I put the DVD back in the TV dvd recorder that I used to finalise it thinking I could unfinalise it and I no longer have the options to edit the disk so can't unfinalise it!
However, saying that I can now at least make copies of this finalised disk using Roxio and these copies are playing with video and audio on TV dvd players, so I can now go ahead and make the dVDs but instruct them that they are TV DVD players disks only!

I have attached a snip of what I see when I use windows explorer to look at the disk, wondering if it makes sense to  anyone where the audio is and if there is anyway I can make a disk that will then play video and audio on a laptop - (I usually keep a 'master copy' for the laptop in case it needs editing, cropping etc at a later date) also the original disk (not mine), I would like to send it back so they can play it on their PC if they want - or one that they can.
Thanks guys and gals - any help, much appreciated Cool
Hairy Biker, you saved a lot of hassle trying to get the DVD back with the Camcorder that created it and then back to me - apparently at the moment its somewhere in the scottish highlands, and given I have loads of parents desperately wanting copies of the show their kiddies were in you have saved an awful lot of delay and hassle - so I thank you very much! Kiss
HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK probably why you cannot play it in the pc is that it is looking at the first session the one titled .rs
IF there is the option to choose which session then try the second (or last one) and see if it plays.
Since it plays on "normal" dvd's then there is nothing "wrong" with the disk, it is just the pc being "too clever"  Cheesy
bubbalicious
Grafter

Sorry It took me a little time to understand about the 'sessions' etc but however I tried on my laptop I couldn't get it to play anything other of the other sessions, until I imported the files from the original DVD using PMB! Then I could access them all and  the sound played! So I then used the PMB software to create the disk and it formatted the files to mpeg2 and now I have disks that play sound and video on whatever device I put them in!    Saying that after 'hearing the singing' I think I now know what the Xfactor judges must feel like, but without the red button to 'send them off! only joking, all the kiddies have voices of angels!!!!??? Crazy Crazy Shocked
Thanks Hairy Biker for all your assistance, I know the parents of the kiddies will love having the memories to look back on - and now I know what to do if they send anymore disks up that they haven't finalised. Much appreciated  ; Grin Grin Grin
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Whats PMB?
You were just lucky that I used to use packet writing (about 10 years ago) and remembered how to "fix" it. Nero used to come with a packet writing program that let you drop files on to the disk "as and when" then finalise it later, and I remembered the "issues" I used to have when I took an unfinished disk to someone else  Sad
At least your DVD recorder must have been the same make as their camcorder to allow you to do it, cross makes would probably have failed.
bubbalicious
Grafter

PMB  some software that Sony vaio have started installing instead of Adobe Premiere elements I used to find installed - I don't really know what it stands for and to be honest, its the first time I have used it for making DVDs.
It sounds like I was doubly lucky, the Camcorder apparently was a Daewoo and my DVD recorder is a samsung- and I have just finished labelling the the 30th DVD copy and am sending a  note reminding the lady that organises all this to get any dvds finalised in the future! hopefully i won't need to go through all this again, but now at least now I know how to get round it!
Thanks again, I was really worrying that I wouldn't be able to make the DVDs this time. They used to use a local company but they charged them £5 per disk, I can do them for 86p each so they can sell them & make a big profit, & as its the kiddies that organise all the shows, they get ££s to put to the next show (or maybe singing lessons!!!??) 
Again, Thank you for guiding me through this,sorry to say but I am glad you had a problem in the past - I have found out today that the camcorder used was a friend of a parents who actaully live in france and have now returned, so to get the disk finalised would have been a bit of nightmare, but it all turned out perfectly phew!