Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD drive

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

DVD drive

I have just installed a DVD player on my desktop pc but get the following message when I try to load a DVD :
"Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."
Can anyone suggest please where can I get the appropriate codecs ?  I am running XP Service Pack 3.  The system only came with a CD drive and so I have added a DVD drive.
Help would be as always most appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: DVD drive

dear sherman: codecs usually refer to the ability of a program to play different types of files.
I am no expert but i guess that you have not installed the dvd drive correctly.
To test my assumptiond  d/l another free media player such as vlc and try again. If vlc wont play your dvd then its an installation problem.
You also ned to check your dvd drive in  device manager and see if there are any clues there, also check whether win med player has been chosen to play dvds
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You need to purchase a dvd decoder to be able to play on M$ systems, some DVD drives come with an OEM version of one.
Or try <a href="http://download.chip.eu/en/AVS-DVD-Player-2.4.2.125_152055.html">here</a> (no interest just a google search) for a free one.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Windows Media Player on XP won't play DVD's without the correct codecs.
Did you get any free software with the DVD drive such as PowerDVD?
If not I would suggest one of the free DVD movie players
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000826.htm
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

VLC will play DVD's fine and is free.
Quote from: Hairy
You need to purchase a dvd decoder to be able to play on M$ systems, some DVD drives come with an OEM version of one.

No, really you don't.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
johpal
Grafter

I second adiewoo's nomination of VLC; it plays virtually anything you throw at it, including .ts files from my Humax PVR. Get it here:
http://vlc-media-player.us/
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for all the replies.  The problem is that no software came with the DVD drive and I assumed that XP already had all the drivers built in !  Sad
Obviously, I was wrong.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: adiewoo
VLC will play DVD's fine and is free.

Well when I said purchase, it includes FREE things! It just cost's you £0 (and I did post a link to a free player  ;D)
johpal
Grafter

@shermans
Try finding the website of the DVD drive manufacturer and download and install the appropriate drivers.

@Hairy Biker
I added my comments on VLC as it is software I have experience with. Searching Google produces a bewildering plethora of choice; I just wanted to help reduce the shortlist.