cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD/RW for Dell OptiPlex G110

Community Veteran

DVD/RW for Dell OptiPlex G110

My old Dell has a CDROM drive. It is a very solid LG ModelCRD 8482B, a plastic cased (substantial) drive which looks like a normal PC drive. I very much want to replace it with a DVD RW drive that will physically fit the case and, of course, be able to run. Any recommendations out there for such a device?  With the age of the machine I expect to have to resort to Ebay but would not be averse to buy new.
  Roll eyes
22 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: DVD/RW for Dell OptiPlex G110

It'll probably be IDE rather than SATA interface (big fat ribbon cable as opposed to a nice thin one) - just make sure you get an IDE DVD writer and you'll be fine.
Community Veteran

New is pretty cheap, so why not.
LG is a good brand for such drives so I'd go for one of theirs, the "multi" range are fine and usually under £20.
Just make sure it's the same interface, presumably IDE not SATA.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I am always buying second hand DVD RW drives on eBay for my various Ubuntu machines.
After several years of research and experimentation I would thoroughly recommend the LG gh22lp20, assuming you need an IDE interfaced drive.
These are VERY reliable, fast, and usually come with both a black and an ivory coloured front bezel to match your PC case.
On eBay you can pick up immaculate and boxed examples for about £12 including p&p, or you should be able to buy them new for about £20 (+p&p)
Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
recommend the LG gh22lp20

I'm looking straight at an LG GH22NS40 (SATA) in my main W7 system.  Wink
Community Veteran

Thanks fellas!
Lg CDROM looks very solid so I am not surprised to see the same make recommended. Yes it will have to be IDE, machine does not know anything about SATA!!. I am just hoping that the case will be sufficiently identical to the old one, not a lot of margin for adjustment!!
  Cheesy
Fixes: 83

Unless you fitted a PCI to SATA adaptor card.
Just a thought Smiley

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

Why bother for an optical drive....... Crazy
Funnily enough I was looking at one of those just this week, but for hard disk purposes.
Even there I'm not sure what performance advantage their might be.
Fixes: 83

Quote from: HPsauce
Why bother for an optical drive.......

Have to agree there but it does open up other possibilities.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran

I believe the GX110 is a very small box, not much room for add-ons of any sort.
Might even be the one that hangs behind the monitor.... Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I would be reluctant to fit a SATA optical drive via a PCI to SATA adaptor, as a lot of older BIOSes struggle to boot from anything that is not part of the motherboard (particularly USB or SATA devices),  so at least for the optical drive I would stick to IDE.
Community Veteran

Indeed.
Even my modern Windows 7 (x64) system gets confused re booting so I have an IDE DVD-ROM that I had to use to install the OS.
Everything else is SATA, including the main DVD-RW drive.
(The disks are mirrored RAID but the DVD-RW obviously isn't)
Community Veteran

@ HP Sauce post #9
Agreed that it is a packed box  but the existing CDROM by LG is quite substantial and big compared with some other CD Drives. I was hoping that the replacement would be of similar proprtions and go into the hole avaiable. I wonder if LG still tells us the size in their catalogues? Must try to see.
Community Veteran

Following-up the above....LG only list SATA drives and not too many of them either. Must look elsewhere.
@Purleigh
Where do you recommend buying new?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's three available on scan, all less than twenty quid. There's an LG in there too:
http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/blu-ray-dvd-drives/dual-layer-ide
Not had any problems when ordering from there at all, and they're definitely among the cheapest of the online stores.