cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD/RW for Dell OptiPlex G110

colintivy
Rising Star

DVD/RW for Dell OptiPlex G110

My old Dell has a CDROM drive. It is a very solid LG ModelCRD 8482B, a plastic cased (substantial) drive which looks like a normal PC drive. I very much want to replace it with a DVD RW drive that will physically fit the case and, of course, be able to run. Any recommendations out there for such a device?  With the age of the machine I expect to have to resort to Ebay but would not be averse to buy new.
  Roll_eyes
22 REPLIES 22
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: DVD/RW for Dell OptiPlex G110

It'll probably be IDE rather than SATA interface (big fat ribbon cable as opposed to a nice thin one) - just make sure you get an IDE DVD writer and you'll be fine.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

New is pretty cheap, so why not.
LG is a good brand for such drives so I'd go for one of theirs, the "multi" range are fine and usually under £20.
Just make sure it's the same interface, presumably IDE not SATA.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am always buying second hand DVD RW drives on eBay for my various Ubuntu machines.
After several years of research and experimentation I would thoroughly recommend the LG gh22lp20, assuming you need an IDE interfaced drive.
These are VERY reliable, fast, and usually come with both a black and an ivory coloured front bezel to match your PC case.
On eBay you can pick up immaculate and boxed examples for about £12 including p&p, or you should be able to buy them new for about £20 (+p&p)
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: purleigh
recommend the LG gh22lp20

I'm looking straight at an LG GH22NS40 (SATA) in my main W7 system.  Wink
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks fellas!
Lg CDROM looks very solid so I am not surprised to see the same make recommended. Yes it will have to be IDE, machine does not know anything about SATA!!. I am just hoping that the case will be sufficiently identical to the old one, not a lot of margin for adjustment!!
  Cheesy
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Unless you fitted a PCI to SATA adaptor card.
Just a thought Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

Why bother for an optical drive....... Crazy
Funnily enough I was looking at one of those just this week, but for hard disk purposes.
Even there I'm not sure what performance advantage their might be.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: HPsauce
Why bother for an optical drive.......

Have to agree there but it does open up other possibilities.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
HPsauce
Pro

I believe the GX110 is a very small box, not much room for add-ons of any sort.
Might even be the one that hangs behind the monitor.... Undecided
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be reluctant to fit a SATA optical drive via a PCI to SATA adaptor, as a lot of older BIOSes struggle to boot from anything that is not part of the motherboard (particularly USB or SATA devices),  so at least for the optical drive I would stick to IDE.
HPsauce
Pro

Indeed.
Even my modern Windows 7 (x64) system gets confused re booting so I have an IDE DVD-ROM that I had to use to install the OS.
Everything else is SATA, including the main DVD-RW drive.
(The disks are mirrored RAID but the DVD-RW obviously isn't)
colintivy
Rising Star

@ HP Sauce post #9
Agreed that it is a packed box  but the existing CDROM by LG is quite substantial and big compared with some other CD Drives. I was hoping that the replacement would be of similar proprtions and go into the hole avaiable. I wonder if LG still tells us the size in their catalogues? Must try to see.
colintivy
Rising Star

Following-up the above....LG only list SATA drives and not too many of them either. Must look elsewhere.
@Purleigh
Where do you recommend buying new?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's three available on scan, all less than twenty quid. There's an LG in there too:
http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/blu-ray-dvd-drives/dual-layer-ide
Not had any problems when ordering from there at all, and they're definitely among the cheapest of the online stores.