Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD RW Vista woes

Trapper_Dave
Grafter

DVD RW Vista woes

Good afternoon,
I'm experiencing a really weird problem on my PC. I've just recently done a fresh install of Vista Ultimate and it's done something I can't really understand.
My CD/DVD re-writer combo drive (Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A ATA) is acting quite strange. It will read CDs, films DVDs and a copy of Windows Vista that I burnt onto a DVD from MSDN.
It won't read a couple of game DVDs that I have, which it could read before the software re-install namely Shadowrun and Halo 2. It will tell me that there isn't a disc in the drive.
Although when I suggested that Windows updates the driver it's telling me that the optimum driver is already in place, a CD-ROM driver. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to try and fix this?
4 REPLIES 4
God
Grafter

Re: DVD RW Vista woes

First thoughts...
1. Uninstall the driver from Device Manager and force a reinstallation of the driver.
or
2. Go Control panel/ System and Maintenance/Use tools to improve performance/ Problem reports and solutions - and see if Vista has spotted a problem with the drive and offers any advice.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Thank you for your speedy reply God.
Unfortunately neither steps that you have suggested have resolved the issue. It seems to be a right bugger of a problem.
God
Grafter

Sorry that you had no joy there Trapper, you may well get the solution from someone else here on Monday. If not I suggest you post the problem at www.cdfreaks.com I would be fairly certain they will sort you out.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

I'll try that; thanks for the suggestion God.
PJ, when I put the DVD in the green light flashes and I can hear it spin, then after about twenty - forty seconds, it stops spinning and the light goes off, so I double click on the drive icon and it tells me that there is no disc in the drive.