cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVD Decoder for Vista

Not applicable

DVD Decoder for Vista

Need advice please re DVD Decoder. Have Vista Basic with just the Media Player.
Tried VLC and it works but the DVD is breaking up. Please could someone tell me what is wrong?
If there is another free download to make it work that would be good but would also pay for a suitable DVD player if it would work correctly.
6 REPLIES 6
scootie
Grafter

Re: DVD Decoder for Vista

paid for i use nero  for all dvd recording and vid playback ect.
but i all so use k lite codec pack and this is worth trying before blaming it on the media player
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm
also is your pc up to spec and running at optimium perfomance
Not applicable

Thanks for the info - it is a new laptop. Tried the link but not successful (it said something like it was a time-limited trial).
Anyway, turns out that VLC will play one of my DVDs perfectly (a free one from the Sunday Mirror). Two others, both legitimate  and paid-for DVDs won't play properly.
scootie
Grafter

http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=5202&s=775
direct download link for standard 4.8.5 k lite codec pack
it really does sound like a codec problem but VLC is highly spoke of and has plenty of codecs shiped with it so shouold be fine.
Santiago
Grafter

It would definitely be worth downloading the k-lite pack, it comes with Media Player Classic and that should play your problem dvds.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Also try upgrading the DVD drive firmware, we had this exactly problem with a consignment of Dells, I upgraded the firmware of the drives and playback was perfect. If you're not sure how please post your laptop make and model.
Not applicable

All sorted thanks to your advice. Downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack and now Windows Media Player Classic will play the errant DVDs.
VLC won't but that's OK as it will play the others.
Thank you for help.