cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL and Dial up Modem Issue

Merlin
Grafter

Re: DSL and Dial up Modem Issue

Re dynamic DNS, the Paxton software is not set up to accommodate that unfortunately, however PN tell me that they could provide a  static IP without any additional charge.
Re the installer accessing my phone, that is not relevant as the access system is not at my home only the control pc which dials out.
itsme
Grafter

I believe axisofevil is trying to establish whether the problem is with the modem on the adsl line. From your description the modems have negotiated a connection so it seem that the problem is with the controlling system at the hall.
Have you tried running hyperTerminal on both pc's to test the modems communications? probably will need two persons to do this.
Merlin
Grafter

There is only one pc at my end, at the remote (hall) end the modem connects directly into the access system via a Paxton Modem controller.  As I said in the original post the modems connect but no data transfer occurs.  If the control pc and modem, which are located at my home, are moved to other premises and connected to a phone line with no DSL everything works fine.  This indicates that the access system end is ok and the control pc and modem are ok.  The difference between the successful situations is a line with adsl.
BT will be moving my exchange over to 21CN in Q2/09 so it is possible that the MSAN has already been installed at my exchange.  I wondered if that could be causing the problem as there is some stuff on BT's 21CN site about issues with alarm diallers etc.  However I checked the status of the installers exchange wrt 21CN and apparently it goes live in Q1/09 ie before mine so it is highly likely that the exchange is fitted with an MSAN and it does not appear to be an issue.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BT will have been careful that the change to 21CN does not take out all/some of the modem dial-up lines.
Many devices (including fax, telex, some burglar alarms) etc rely on this ancient technology.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Merlin
Re dynamic DNS, the Paxton software is not set up to accommodate that unfortunately, however PN tell me that they could provide a  static IP without any additional charge.

That's good of PN and a better option, but DDNS is normally a router function so Paxton shouldn't need to be involved..... Undecided
samuria
Grafter

You havent got call minder or anything on the line. I have come across the problem were the call minder puts a  tone on the line aand stops a modem from working.
Have you tried dialing in to your house using some other software to see if that works if you can dial in with somthing else it would prove its not the adsl thats at fault this is the way forward
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Merlin
Re the installer accessing my phone, that is not relevant as the access system is not at my home only the control pc which dials out.

Since I assume you initiate changes to the database, does this mean that the control PC responds to incoming calls (from you) by
dropping the connection and phoning your number via dial-up as a security measure?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Really clutching at straws here but its maybe worth trying ( if possible ):-
1) Using your Control PC at another location ( not the installers or yours ) without ADSL to check that works, hence confirming that the system will work from somewhere other than the installers line!
2) Using your Control PC at another location ( not the installers or yours ) with ADSL to check if that works, hence confirming whether its ADSL that's the problem!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Merlin
Grafter

Well thanks for all the suggestions.  Just to respond to the latest:
Quote from: MisterW
Really clutching at straws here but its maybe worth trying ( if possible ):-
1) Using your Control PC at another location ( not the installers or yours ) without ADSL to check that works, hence confirming that the system will work from somewhere other than the installers line!
2) Using your Control PC at another location ( not the installers or yours ) with ADSL to check if that works, hence confirming whether its ADSL that's the problem!

Test 2 has been done at a friends close by ie dial in on line with adsl.  Test 1 has been done but using a different pc which is running the control software, the variation of this test using my control pc is being arranged  is being arranged but it is actually difficult to find someone without DSL.
Quote from: samuria
You havent got call minder or anything on the line. I have come across the problem were the call minder puts a  tone on the line aand stops a modem from working.
Have you tried dialing in to your house using some other software to see if that works if you can dial in with somthing else it would prove its not the adsl thats at fault this is the way forward

Nothing has to dial in to my house, the control pc which holds the sql database is located at my home.  Thne control pc initiates a dial out to the hall using a USR modem connected to it.  At the hall end is a similar modem that is set to autoanswer.  That modem is connected to a modem control unit NB not a pc, the modem control unit interfaces across  cat 5 cabling with the access controllers which are located adjacent to each door.  Authentication is achieved between the control pc and each door unit using a code.  Once authenticated data is uploaded to the controller from the control pc.
Details of the system are here http://www.paxton.co.uk/products.asp?strStage=net2