cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS-over-HTTPS will eventually roll out in all major browsers, despite ISP opposition

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: DNS-over-HTTPS will eventually roll out in all major browsers, despite ISP opposition

@VileReynard wrote:

I'm happy to use 1.1.1.1 (cloudfare) since so much data goes via their servers anyway. There are quite a number of free DNS service providers...

According to https://1.1.1.1/dns/ no logging takes place - so maybe it doesn't. I certainly wouldn't trust Google and have doubts about Plusnet's "deep packet inspection", so I have no reason to make life easier for them or anybody else feeding off my internet stream.

Just because so much data goes via their servers does not mean that they don't log anything. I'm richer than Bill Gates... will you believe that too due to reading it on a webpage or should i set up a website to convince you?

All these private networks and dns servers are completely pointless IMO. If you're really security conscious then you'd use a PAYG mobile internet connection that isn't registered and literally cannot be traced back to you. If you don't then be prepared for any server anywhere to be logging something - even if they claim they don't.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: DNS-over-HTTPS will eventually roll out in all major browsers, despite ISP opposition

If I was really security conscious, then I wouldn't use the web - certainly not on a mobile!

I wouldn't even be able to use email, even encrypted email, since the source/destination is sent as plain text.

I just try to avoid giving personal information away unnecessarily.

Hence, I use ad-blockers, a tracking blocker, most email is sent encrypted and so on.

I occasionally use a VPN - but geographical identification via IP address reduces their usefulness.

Has the advantage of reducing spam to a very low level.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

The only time i use a vpn is to dial into my PC at home and if needed have access to the monster sat next to it (i can WOL it via a small php script on the main PC).

For browsing, the only thing a VPN really secures you from is 3rd party advertising companies. That's it. Any government that has servers located within its physical borders will always gain access to them if it wants - that's what governments and state police depts do.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!