cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issue?

phillipbaker
Dabbler

DNS Issue?

i dont know if this is the correct place to be posting this message but here goes. I am trying to setup a mail servero n linux. I have made the DNS Changes and the server is all up and running how ever when i try to send an email to it i get the following bounce back. Just to save confusion on the domain etc i have just changed the email address.
The following message to <email@domin.co.uk> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'This domain is not hosted here'
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: DNS Issue?

'I made the DNS changes' is a bit vague. Can you detail what you have actually done.
The error indicates the mail server does not know that it is responsible for the domain that the email was sent to. Re-check your mail server settings and ensure it knows about your domain.
phillipbaker
Dabbler

sorry, well i setup an mx record for mail.domain.com then also setup an A record to point towards the IP of my router. Is there something im missing from that.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

So have you actually configured your mail server? All you have done is point mail delivery to your box, but the box needs to know that is it responsible for the domain as well and what to do with the email when it receives it.
Are you using sendmail for mail on the Linux box? If so read up on configuring it to accept mail for your domain.
Where will the email go once your mail server has accepted it? What email client are you going to use and is this running on your linux box or on another system. If another system do you want to use POP3 or IMAP to access the email. Have you set-up a POP3 or IMAP server on your Linux box so your POP3/IMAP client can access the email?
There is a lot more to do than just setting up an MX record.