cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Advice - Site not visible on Plusnet

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Re: DNS Advice - Site not visible on Plusnet

Well our electrical supply is going off for a few minutes at midday so I have the router off for a few minutes.
But surely there is an issues at plusnet stopping my access to the site as I can view and access via ftp other sites hosted on the same servers/ip address.?

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

I switched my router off last night but still unable to view the domain www.ericwatsonfs.co.uk.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@AndyD_OHD wrote:

But surely there is an issues at plusnet stopping my access to the site as I can view and access via ftp other sites hosted on the same servers/ip address.?

you'll be glad to know that there is some merit in your claims after all:

screenshot_453

Thing is though if you're not willing to listen / try things that people bring to the table then there is little point in any of us continuing to try and help you.

Scheduling when you're going to reboot your router.. well.. you either want help or not. It's a bit of an insult towards those of us trying to help when you ask for advice and then don't act on it.. or decide to delay it. Chenks gave you solid advice too.. you weren't keen on trying it though were you.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7up
Community Veteran

@Chris wrote:

Can someone on this thread provide the output of an nslookup similar to the one I did above?

Sure thing boss,

screenshot_457

Well thats slightly embarassing isn't it..

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Sorry 7up there is no intention not to accept anyone's advice but my wife works from home and is constant connection to her work and a number of databases and as there was supposed to be an "outage" shortly after your post it was more convenient to wait the few minutes. Since then I have had the electrical supply to the router off a few times but with no change in the access to the site in question.

I am about to head to Germany but will be calling Plusnet on my return, again. If anyone wants to offer advice then I am more than willing to follow any advice they offer.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you have already have advice from me, yet you haven't even attempted to try it (from what i can see).
as 7up said, what's the point in asking for people to offer advice when you seem to just ignore it.
AndyD_OHD
Grafter

I have just tried to access the domain using krpoxy.com and it displayed the new version of the site. However if I try without the proxy I do actually get the site now, but the old version is appearing whereas before I wasn't getting anything at all. My browser cache is cleared every day.

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Hi Chenk,
I did ask how to do it as I am unaware but got no reply.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

as i don't know what router you have it's impossible to tell you how to do it.
but if you use google to search for "change DNS settings ROUTER MODEL" then i'm sure it will tel you how to do it.
AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Thanks Chenk. Unfortunately I have to get to the airport but wil do it upon my return. I do find it odd that the other sites I have on Sitehq are all visible but it is only one that isn't. And now I am getting the old site through my browser where I wasn't getting anything before, and through a proxy I am getting the newer site... All a bit of a headache... But thanks for your input.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndyD_OHD I have just done a lookup on the domain in question and I got:

$ nslookup ericwatsonfs.co.uk
Server:		192.168.0.7
Address:	192.168.0.7#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	ericwatsonfs.co.uk
Address: 91.224.108.20

I then did the same using the name server as used by @7up in his post above and I got this:

$ nslookup ericwatsonfs.co.uk 212.159.6.9
Server:		212.159.6.9
Address:	212.159.6.9#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	ericwatsonfs.co.uk
Address: 91.224.108.20
AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Thanks for the posts but what does it tell me...?
I am off to Germany for the weekend... just about to jump in the car so won't be able to reply to anyone until Monday. I think I'll have to call Plusnet again when I get back. But will try to change to Google DNS if I find out how to do it on my return.

Cheers.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm going to get this over to one of the back end teams via a ticket on your account. Can you add as much information as possible to this here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=151226275

I've already linked to this thread and given an overview of the situation.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A update: just done another DNS lookup against the 2 Plusnet DNS servers, and it's resolving fine.

However, I think there is still something odd with the Plunet DNS servers: when I go into nslookup, and issue the server command (for 212.159.6.9 or 212.159.6.10), one of the things that nslookup does is to do a reverse dns of the server ip. First time around, it seems to give a different response from what I expect:

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup
Default Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.30.250

> server 212.159.6.9
Default Server:  FWDR-9.FWDR-6.FWDR-159.FWDR-212
Address:  212.159.6.9

> server 212.159.6.9
Default Server:  cdns01.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.9

> ^C
C:\Windows\system32>nslookup
Default Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  192.168.30.250

> server 212.159.6.10
Default Server:  FWDR-10.FWDR-6.FWDR-159.FWDR-212
Address:  212.159.6.10

> server 212.159.6.10
Default Server:  cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10

If I stay in nslookup, it remains correct. If I exit, and do it again, it goes wrong the first time...

7up
Community Veteran

Definitely some strange behaviour going on there.

Are plus net name servers custom builds or off the shelf like bind?