Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Advice - Site not visible on Plusnet

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: DNS Advice - Site not visible on Plusnet

I can't provide that information I'm afraid

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Why? - Corporate policy or you simply don't know? - If the latter can't you just ask someone?

At the end of the day if your DNS servers are breaking the internet experience for users I think they have the right to have it taken seriously and fixed. If those nameservers are custom then you obviously need to get the original developers in to debug and fix. Given the £millions that were boasted about in the way of profits, the cost of getting it fixed should be negligible.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Right back from a few days away... Suppose I need to get back to calling PlusNet and find out what the heck is happening here...

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Is anyone aware of others having the same issue? Surely it cannot only be me that is having this problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that I don't know, but it works for me. Or this is a cunning marketing ploy to get people to visit this web site. Wink

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

I wish it was something as simple as a ploy... I am still unable to view it.

Can anyone outline how I can reset the dns to google as has been mentioned? I really don't think Plusnet is able to offer me any assistance at all.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

you'd need to tell us what router you have.
i did say this previously that last time you asked.
AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Sorry about that, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this and that Plusnet would resolve the issue. The modem supplied by Plusnet is a Sagecom 2704N

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndyD_OHD - I'd be inclined to change the DNS on a PC just to prove the point. If you're using Windows then this can be done via the Network connection's properties, a quick search will tell you what you need to know should it be required.

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Hi Mook,
I think I'll try that first before doing anything to do with the router... that may just cause more problems...

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

I have tried to set the DNS of one computer to Google. I found this set of instructions, https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Manually_Setting_DNS_Server, but when I try to open "Properties" nothing actually happens. Well, not exactly true, after a few minutes a window opens with the title "Network Connections" and "An unexpected error occured".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well obviously @AndyD_OHD that's not meant to happen and may well be a contributory factor to your issue, selecting the properties then double clicking on the IPv4 entry should produce instant results.

I suggest that your next step should be to scan your PC for malware using something like this. I assume you also have up to date anti virus as a full system scan won't go amiss. In addition to that your OS should up to date with the latest patches for your version of Windows.

You could try changing the DNS on the router but that won't really help until you have this issue fixed.

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Thanks @Anonymous. I allow all updates to the computer as requested, use McAfee LiveSafe. Will scan as well thanks.

AndyD_OHD
Grafter

Plusnet are now looking into this issue. Response from last night's checks...
"**INTERNAL**

was unable to load website during dial test, and was unable to run a successful tracert to the website, it would fail after first hop. Was able to tracert bbc and other websites fine just the website"

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@AndyD_OHD wrote:

Thanks @Anonymous. I allow all updates to the computer as requested, use McAfee LiveSafe. Will scan as well thanks.

Using McAfee may well be causing you problems - either by screwing up your system or by allowing stuff to infect you that it hasn't detected. It's a very budget anti-viral software suite and I would rank AVG above it if i'm totally honest about it.

I stopped using it 15 years ago, then it came onto various other machines as a free bundle, let me down again, uninstalled... Short story is that its utter trash and every time i've had an encounter with it i've ended up feeling glum.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!