Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP server needed.. ideas please

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

DHCP server needed.. ideas please

I'm in need of a dhcp server for my lan. The plusnet router does the job but obviously specifies its own nameservers in the dhcp reply. Those nameservers don't support the webserver i have running on the network with various domains such as security.lan etc. While thats not a problem for a PC that can be configured separately my android phone is a bit of a pain!

So i need a dhcp server that is reliable, has good options / flexibility and is free. Any recommendations please?

Ta

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES 8
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: DHCP server needed.. ideas please

firstly, maybe you need to change your webserver rather than DHCP server.

secondly, you don't say if you want a software DHCP or a hardware DHCP. as you said "free" i assume you mean software, so what OS will you be running it on? what hardware will you be running it on?

thirdly, you could simply bin the trash that is the PN router and get a better device.

7up
Community Veteran

The Web server is apache so nothing wrong with that. The problem is that local machines can (via my DNS server) lookup local network domains as long as each machine is configured to use my DNS. Android seems to rely on getting its DNS from dhcp and I've not found a way to change that manually. It would be nice to assign the DNS to all of them from a central dhcp server. 

As for the server, Yes software and running on Windows or a RPi original model b.

Can't afford to replace the pn hardware unfortunately, chance would be a fine thing! The nearest I have for that is the RPi I just mentioned.

Thanks for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@7up - Have a look at dnsmasq this will run on the Pi, it's free and open source, supporting DNS and DHCP.

7up
Community Veteran

Ta, I'll take a look at that.. 

mikelahey
Pro

Pi Hole provides DHCP server functionality on the Raspberry Pi and it strips out the ad's on every device connected to your network.

https://pi-hole.net/

mikelahey
Pro

I forgot to add that it provides dns functionality as well.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

@mikeahey just tried pi-hole on my Mint server, fails on FTL every time, seems a common issue, might try it on a pi tomorrow.

EDIT:

Works find on a pi zero W. Also fine on a zero with a wifi dongle, so must be something on the Mint config stopping the FTL bit.

Love the part where it also acts as a local name server so I can ping devices by name again. Will run it for a bit and see how it goes.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I found ISC easy to manage for the Pi

sudo apt-get install isc-dhcp-server

Best recent bit of software I've used which is pretty over the top but great is Pfsense But you would need some old kit and a couple of ethernet cards. Also a fantastic Firewall. They also supply small form factor units like the SG1000 if you need the hardware.