Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP Query

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

DHCP Query

I have a LAN server supplying DHCP to a number of LAN clients. (apart from a multitude of other duties)
I have a Netgear DG834 router supplying ADSL to the LAN server. The router has it's built-in DHCP server disabled.
I wish to connect a couple of Notebooks wirelessly to the Internet via the DG834.
My question is if I enable the router's DHCP server and configure it with an IP range well away from the LAN server's 192.168.1.XXX (on a different subnet) will it cause problems on the LAN.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran

Re: DHCP Query

Thanks PJ. I'll 'remote' in tomorrow and see how the land lies.
Obviously what I am hoping for is the notebooks pick up the dhcp off the router as required but nothing on the LAN does.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chillypenguin
Grafter

Without knowing the full details of your network, I am may be talking rubbish.
But the laptop should be able to access the DHCP server on your LAN. I would suggest using that to serve the IP addresses for the laptops. (As it will try to do anyway.)
If you enable the DHCP server of the router it will also try serving IP address to the rest of your LAN, due to the leases these issue may not be apparent Immediately.
Personally I would not recommend using two DHCP servers on one LAN. *
Then there are the issues of routing between the two LANs.
Chilly
* Yes, I know that you can use two DHCP servers. Just that you have to be very careful with the configuration.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You don't need to turn on DHCP on the router. Your Wireless connections will get their IP addresses from the existing DHCP server, just like any wired connections to it do now.
Strat
Community Veteran

The laptops will only be connected temporarily for configuration purposes.
If I use the Lan DHCP then internet access is through the server's proxy and they would require network usernames, passwords and proxy config.
All I need is internet access for the laptops independent of the Lan.
So far it seems ok but the current lan dhcp registrations are not due to expire for a few days so maybe then issues will arise.
I'll see how it goes. Thanks guys for your comments...much appreciated.
Strat
Community Veteran

BTW I have four identical laptops on the kitchen table patching themselves. When it comes to a reboot it sounds like the Microsoft equivalent of a clock shop Crazy
BTW2 4 identical machines bought as a single order at the same time. I can't believe the difference in their 'as delivered' patch levels Angry
samuria
Grafter

with 2 dhcp servers its pot luck which one you connect to it will normally be the nearest and which should be the quickest to reply but by no means certain.
But it all in the lap of the gods. It probably better to set the second one in the same rang but a bit higher. So if the first one is giving out ips 10.0.0.2 -10.0.0.25 then setting the second one to give out 10.0.0.26-10.0.0.45 would be ok.
At least that way all of the pcs would be on the same network which may life simplier
Strat
Community Veteran

Thank you gentlemen for all your contributions.