cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DG834G v4 UPnP port's staying live

scootie
Grafter

DG834G v4 UPnP port's staying live

have problems with dg834g UPnP ports staying live well after they where last used. ie currently i have my xbox's 3074 port still listed and that was last used at 11pm yesterday.
settings are in the attachment
7 REPLIES 7
hadden
Grafter

Re: DG834G v4 UPnP port's staying live

I  had noticed the same on my DG834G a couple of days ago, where a port mapping was still in place hours after I had stopped using the software that set it. I had made a mental note at that time, but you've prompted me to look into it now.  Roll_eyes
I think it's a matter of the software that applied the mapping didn't remove the mapping again. That could be because the software didn't try or because it tried and failed.
The software that I was using was set to automatically apply the port mapping via UPnP, but it seems that it didn't automatically delete the port mapping. That may have been because I exited before the software had a chance to issue the required commands.
I have tried it again and it seems to work fine, setting the port mapping and deleting it as required.
However, I notice that if I use the software to manually apply the port mapping and exit the software immediately, then start the software again and try to unset the port mapping it won't work.
It's as though the router was recognising that the mapping delete request did not come from the same instance of software and so was applying some measure of security to the process.
The simplest way to remove the mapping once it was stuck, was to disable UPnP and re-enable it again.
Note that "Advertisement Period" and "Advertisement Time To Live" aren't related to how long the post mapping exists on the router.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ
The software that I was using was set to automatically apply the port mapping via UPnP, but it seems that it didn't automatically delete the port mapping.

And that's just one of the reasons why UPnP is a bit of a security risk..... Wink
Mike
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: MrC
UPnP is a bit of a security risk

One possible view, but I would suggest this isn't a good example of that point of view.
IMHO leaving a port mapping in place was the potential security risk in this case and UPnP's role was to reduce the potential "security risk", but UPnP was possibly not called upon to do that job.
What method of removing a port mapping would you suggest is less of a "security risk"
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: JohnJ
What method of removing a port mapping would you suggest is less of a "security risk"

The removal of a mapping isn't really the issue; it's the use of UPnP in the first place. UPnP allows anything on the 'safe' side of a router to set up pretty well whatever sort of firewall changes it likes (within the capabilities of the router) which leaves you open to poor application design and coding, and process failure, let alone the actions of malware.
Mike
zubel
Community Veteran

UPNP is one of the things that, in my experience, the DG834 does not handle very well.
Rebooting the router or disable/enabling UPNP was the only way could find to reliably remove some UPNP maps.
B.
hadden
Grafter

Yes, it probably is just one of those things that we accept as going with the territory.
Just complex enough to sometimes go wrong and just too complex to be worth trying to fix  Roll_eyes
scootie
Grafter

all i do is set advertisment period to 1 click appy and the ports are cleared and then set back to 30. pain in the rear thoe to rember to do it