cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link G624T router

stevesmith

D-Link G624T router

Evening all,
I'm stuck, as per !!! I recently installed the above router which was provided by Plusnet. I wrongly changed the name of SSID. Does that  make it any easier for anyone to access my wireless network?  Or have access to data held on my PC?
I have tried to find out how to change it back by looking in the manual and on the intruction disc provided but no luck.
The thing that worries me is it is showing UNSECURED network.
Anyone able to tell me how to change the SSID name back, if I need to, and how to make the wireless network secure.
I'm new to the world of PC's if you had not already guessed !!!!!
Many thanks,
Steve.
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: D-Link G624T router

its not the ssid that makes it unsecured its the absence of WEP or WPA Encryption
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

So how does that help him pierre?  he has already said he is "new to computers" and asked for help in making his router secure.  just to say

its the absence of WEP or WPA Encryption

Is not really helpful......
Oh and by the way,  I don`t know the answer either, so it might just help me too.  Roll_eyes
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

To be honest, the best thing to do is phone PlusNet support; they'll talk you through setting it up securely.
Here's a few tips:
1. You'll need a name (SSID) for your network - pick one that you will recognise but will not link obviously to you or your home.
2. You'll need a security key for your network. It doesn't really matter if you write it down somewhere for reference as many routers come pre-configured with it on a label.
3. There are different levels of security and which you use will to some extent be decided by what you want to connect to it. Most modern stuff will use WPA which is fine but some older stuff may only use WEP which is considered rather weak by some. The most recent is WPA-2 but not everything will work with that - so leave it for the paranoid.
4. To "get into" and manage your router will probably need an administrator logon - it's a good idea to change that, at least the password.
scootie
Grafter

try this page from the dlink website tells u how to secure your model of router.http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CnptFMIC4AStFCF834mptYIe1STtvhLPG3yV3oUY98g6ltbNlwaaRp6TotFj2onGQTo...
scanned over it quick i think it only takes wep encpt.
same as above make sure the ssid is somthing no one in your street would be able to tell it was from your house.
and yes change the password that u use to login to the router settings page. stops any one getting in to it and changing things.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Having read back through, normally Plusnet supply routers that have WEP at least installed,  have you got a simple one sheet instruction from PN on how to set up you link, also what type of router have you, then others might be able to help you.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
what type of router
The clue is in the thread title  Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you still here - whoops Smiley
HPsauce