cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link DSL-2640B + port forwarding

ukscorpion

D-Link DSL-2640B + port forwarding

Hi,
I am trying to configure my D-Link DSL-2640B wireless modem/router for Bit Tornado (a Bit Torrent client) - I have looked at the Port Forwarding website but when I try to configure the Port Forwarding it keeps asking for a Server IP Address - and the Port Forwarding website instructions have it left blank!
Any advice would be appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: D-Link DSL-2640B + port forwarding

Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing, blanking out any personal info.
Might help as the port forward site doesn't show server address?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The reference to the server is the ip address of your PC - I enclose a link for you to download a manual - look around page 38.
http://ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dkt_products/dkt-710/DSL-2640B_Manual_v1_060407.pdf

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ukscorpion

Thanks for the replies.
My PC is configured to pick up an IP address automatically - do I need to assign a fixed IP address and will this affect my internet connection?
I will try to get a screen shot on later.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

On this D-Link you can still use DHCP - but certain ethernet addresses can be reserved for preset ip addresses (it's a bit weird really).
If you do the configuring remotely from the "special" PC, you can pick up the ethernet address and associate it with the current DHCP derived address.
Give it a name and reserve it's current ip address.
Remember to save the details - it may insist on a reboot - can't remember!
It's rather like having a static ip address.
But you still use DHCP - it's just that you will always get the same ip address.
I've got all my PC's setup this way - and a NAS drive Cheesy
It's quite nice to do this because my hosts file contains the same info, which lets me connect to other PC's by name rather than address.
See my version (note that the DHCP lease time should probably be a lot less and isn't important anyway) - attached.]

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."