cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D-Link ADSL Router and Vista

waldron
Grafter

D-Link ADSL Router and Vista

I have a D-Link DSL-G604T and am currently running Windows/XP on my desktop and laptop.
I am thinking of replacing my laptop, which will inevitably be running a version of Vista.
I have heard that various routers/modems are incompatible with Vista. Does anyone know whether that applies to the  DSL-G604T please?
8 REPLIES 8
waldron
Grafter

Re: D-Link ADSL Router and Vista

Many thanks. I can go ahead without worrying then.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

FYI: It is USB and PCI (i.e. internal card) ADSL equipment that is likely to have problems with Vista because both require drivers to operate which is a major failing with Vsta.
Equipment that uses normal Ethernet connections will work fine as long as Vista has drivers for the PC/Laptop's Ethernet port, which is very likely if the unit comes with Vista already installed.
waldron
Grafter

Thanks Peter.
So as long as I go for an ethernet connection (or wireless?) I should be OK with Vista?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Wireless for you laptop should be fine as it's supplied with Vista so it should support the on-board wireless devices. USB wireless adapters may not be so lucky for the reasons I gave above - no compatible drivers.
The problem of Vista drivers is improving but a lot of older / legacy hardware is unlikely to be supported on Vista and this is where people have problems if they upgrade their existing systems to Vista - notwithstanding the horrendous problems Vista has anyway but that's a whole different subject!  Roll_eyes
waldron
Grafter

Thanks again Peter. I didn't like the sound of "horrendous problems Vista has anyway.....". Maybe I should postpone my laptop replacement for a while.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If you can get it with XP on I would urge you to go down that route for now. Vista currently causes more problems than in solves. A significant service pack is due in the next few months which should help but Vista is still too buggy for me to even consider at the moment and there is a lot of negative comments all over the internet.
waldron
Grafter

@PJ.
I have been looking at the Sony Vaio range, and as far as I can tell, they do all come with Vista pre-installed.
Currently I only use fairly standard packages - MS Office, Picasa2, iTunes, Outlook Express, Internet Explorer. And I do use VoIP when travelling abroad. I can't see that changing in the future. Anything else I would run on my desktop.
My current laptop is quite old, not very fast, and the HDD is almost full. That's why I am considering a change.
waldron
Grafter

The three models I have been looking at (on the internet) are CR21S, FZ21E and NR11Z, although I think that the FZ21E is not available until later this month. FZ21E is my current favourite.
I am finding it confusing, as sometimes a less expensive model appears to have a better specification than a more expensive one.  For example, the CR21S has a slightly faster processor speed than the CR11Z, but is cheaper. The NR11Z and FZ21E have similar specifications, but the former is about £150 cheaper.