Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D Day tomorrow - trying to pre-empt possible Windows 10 problems

carlcaulkett
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

D Day tomorrow - trying to pre-empt possible Windows 10 problems

Hello, I am due to have my broadband switched on tomorrow. I am somewhat concerned that my particular installation of Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) Insider Ring edition does not appear to have any available option to set up Wireless communication. I am hoping that when my router finally goes live that will prompt my desktop system into recognising WiFi, and make things obvious though I am not particularly confident. So does anyone know of any reliable resources which can provide useful Windows 10 knowledge with regard to WiFi.

Thanks in advance folks, Carl

18 REPLIES 18
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: D Day tomorrow - trying to pre-empt possible Windows 10 problems

I presume your desktop actually has a wireless adaptor.  Check in Device Manager to confirm that the computer thinks it is working properly or indeed is there at all.  

carlcaulkett
Rising Star

Interesting question. My computer, an Acer Z5761 all in one desktop, certainly has a sticker on it that says "Integrated LAN 10/100/1000 & Wireless LAN". Yet I've looked carefully in Device Manager and there is nothing listed there that looks in any way connected to wireless.

carlcaulkett
Rising Star

I've just downloaded some driver which are described as wireless and network drivers for my machine. I've installed them and rechecked Device Manager - still no mention of wireless.

(The drivers consisted of a few zipped files - I unzipped them, followed right-click- > install on the .INF file- presumably this is still the way to manually install Windows stuff)

carlcaulkett
Rising Star

I should add that I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I notice from several bulletin boards that tons of users have had their WiFi capabilities completely hosed by Windows 10 - I would seem to be amongst those poor unfortunates. Several sites have a suggested solution involving deleting a registry key followed by a netcfg command with various switches. This hasn't worked because my registry did not contain the specified value - I tried the netcfg command none the less, but that hasn't improved things.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If you look under Network Adaptors in Device Manager you should (normally) see two items listed.  One is the wired adaptor and the other is the wireless.  If you only see one adaptor then that must be the wired adaptor so you have not got a working wireless capability.  If Device Manager indicates some other device that is not recognised then most probably you don't have the correct drivers for your wireless adaptor.  If everything else appears normal then it is likely your wireless adaptor has suffered a hardware failure to the extent that the computer does not 'see' it.  Once Device Manager sees your adaptor and thinks it is working then you can start messing around with registry settings as necessary.  

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I've had a look on the Acer website to see which drivers are available.

Unfortunately the only/latest ones listed are for Windows 7.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd be surprised if Windows 10 didn't do a driver. As Reed mentioned, you need to find the Wireless listed in Device Manager - maybe with a Yellow !

I tried installing a couple of drivers a short while ago using the .INF file and it doesn't work. You have to use the "Update driver" in Device Manager and point it to the folder with the .INF file and the drivers. Not my area of expertise this, maybe Reed knows why just using an .INF file doesn't work?

Riza
Rising Star

Hello there,

I like experimenting with drivers and seeing which version works best.

For your Acer all in one I believe the wireless card inside is an wn6607lh.

This chip is an RTL8191SU which will be the driver we need.

We can find this on Realtek website here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&...

However that driver is from Windows 7 so I don't think that it would work but it's worth a shot.

Seems like that is the latest driver... Realtek have simply abandoned development.

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=select&id...

If you find any missing drivers or need to see newer versions this driver pack will help.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/snappy-driver-installer/
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I have never attempted to install a device driver by right-clicking on a .inf file.  The method that works at least 99 times out of 100 is to find the file setup.exe amongst those listed and run it.  If that fails then use Device Manager to update the driver and point it at the folder containing the .inf file or files.

This thread may help on why the right-click-.inf method did not work and it's from 2004: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/right-click-inf-files-to-install-drivers.534722/

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

It seems (although I'm not 100% certain) that you have the Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter.  If that is correct then you can find Windows 7 drivers on this web page::

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Conn=4&Langid=1&Level=5&PFid=48&ProdID=229&Do...

Download and run the auto-install utility and see if that works.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If so, this first came out in 2010 for XP and extra drivers were written for other Win stuff.

I expect they want you to buy a new version.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/driver/detail.asp?driver=Realtek~RTL8191SU~Wireless~LAN~802.11n~U...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Riza
Rising Star

@VileReynard

Don't just download anything off the web. This website was blocked by my AV as it had a javascript manipulation technique. Many driver pages will install PUP's and all-sorts of bloatware which will just ransom you money and will do nothing.

Only install drivers from official sites, their manufacturer of the laptop/desktop or the chipset maker (or reputable sites if you cannot wait for a WHQL release)

Make sure to only install signed WHQL drivers, installing unsigned drivers was blocked on Win 8.1 and Win 10 by default due to security of risks of a keylogger or program to try to manipulate hardware.

Drivers are always free they're software verified by Microsoft and the respectable chipset maker for your device to communicate hardware wise.

carlcaulkett
Rising Star

In the end I called in my local Maplin's and purchased a TPLink Wireless adapter for £15. Now I have WiFi. I'm just waiting for Plus.net / Open Reach / whoever tp flick the switch to activate my broadband. They sent an email to say that the voice line had been activated, but I haven't heard anything about the broadband yet.

carlcaulkett
Rising Star

If MW is reading this I saw your message on Twitter. I was reluctant to explain my situation to yet another person and risk having them try to fix things without knowing the full story. The problem as I see it is that an incorrectly spelt user was used for the first account, while the correct name was used for the second account. However, it has turned out to be easier to proceed with the first account and then sort things out later. Speak to Chris (senior forum dude) or Ben Babinski for full details.