Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting down the size of them

FIXED
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Cutting down the size of them

No! This is not to do with politicians, or ,closer to home, forum members who don't agree with us.Grin

I have some photos of a holiday, of which for yonks Erin Dors, aka my beloved wife has asked for photos she can see. I tried one to do it in bulk, but all the EXIF data was lost and the file renamed completely. Fortunately I'd used copies for the exercise.

So it's back to the drawing board, but I need an application that will also keep the EXIF of at least date created and file name that relates easily to the original.

Help, anyone!?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
14 REPLIES 14
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Cutting down the size of them

Moderator's note:

Moved from General Chat to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav
Fixes: 514

Fix

Irfanview is an excellent program which does batch processing. Have used it a lot over the years.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Have you tried BIMP for GIMP?
I'm pretty sure GIMP always preserves EXIF data.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Luzern
Hero

@Mav wrote:

Irfanview is an excellent program which does batch processing. Have used it a lot over the years.

@Mav Thanks, I'd forgotten about that, Stupid me! I had a bit of problem working out what to do, but job achieved.

All files were reduced by same %age, but what always has confused me is how original files of similar size result in new ones of much different dimensions, too much to be accounted for by overheads'

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Luzern

For your next job..... try out now.... FastImageResizer.

https://download.cnet.com/Fast-Image-Resizer/3000-12511_4-10655681.html 

Once you have downloaded and installed it.... you have an Icon on the desktop. 

right click on the icon and "open"

fast image icon.png

change your options   and set the resolution for the resized pics with the drop down menu

fast image options.png

click on "Options"   and set them as follows

fast image options 2.png

Click OK

all you need to do is locate the files  in a resized window, so you can drag and drop them onto the Resizer Icon...

within seconds, they will be resized ( according to your options )... and renamed.. (will be the same file name/number but with the size appended to the file name)  .. and put into a folder as a "sub folder" called "Resized" where the originals are located...  so you will have Two copies of everything. 

As you can see.... the Exif is retained by choice, or default ... ( can`t remember which ! ! ) ..

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you reduce the resolution of an image, you will have permanently thrown away the information in your pictures.

Why not archive the originals and just keep reduced inferior versions online?

I use digiKam to import/export/display and maintain a database of my photos - all original sizes, because disks and backups are cheap.

It only consumes around 15GB for 5,000 photos - which is pretty small.

It also displays EXIF data...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Luzern
Hero

I do keep originals, always. There's so much space on modern hard drives. Thanks all.:)

I see Windows 10 has an app now. I'll bet ir wont have considered such minor things as data retention.

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard you obviously jumped in with both feet.... and did not read the following....

within seconds, they will be resized ( according to your options )..

. and renamed.. (will be the same file name/number but with the size appended to the file name) 

.. and put into a folder as a "sub folder" called "Resized" where the originals are located...

so you will have Two copies of everything. 

Also this line at the end of my post..

As you can see.... the Exif is retained by choice, or default ... ( can`t remember which ! ! )

tferenc

My favourite for batch resizing and general image manipulation https://www.xnview.com/en/ it keeps all exif info if required and copies the resized images to another directory if required it is freeware Linux and Windows

VileReynard
Hero

Why does their website say

© 2013-18 XnSoft

Surely you can't copyright a web site - only the individual images or substantial pieces of text?

artmo
Aspiring Champion

I have tried FastImageResizer on Shutter's advice and it works fine.

Luzern
Hero

Although the resized files' Exif was kept, when I sent uploaded a folder containing the files to Google Drive, it was lost on the sharing link I provided my wife. She was to view them with her IPad.

Are there any ideas about, how I can clear this further hurdle? Would sending the folder zipped to Google Drive, but then could she unzip the folder? Any other ways to get the photos with all data to her?

VileReynard
Hero

A lot of cloud photo services will resize images - which of course effectively destroys EXIF information.

How about using something like dropbox or https://mega.nz which just store data without trying to interpret what kind of file is being stored there.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Luzern  Can you send them by email ?   I have just sent myself some resized pics, and when received. I saved them to desktop... opened with Irfanview... and then on the "image"  clicked "Information"... brings up a sub menu, at the bottom is Exif... click on that and all the exif is shown.

EXIF EXAMPLE VIA EMAIL.png