Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crimping Cables

FIXED
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Crimping Cables

After two failed attempts I bought a Lindy wall socket (it fitted a wall box I already had) in the hope that would be easier.

Guess what, that failed miserably as well. Couldn't get an internet connection full stop. At least my first attempt at crimping gave me an intermittent connection.

There are 2 commonly used wiring schemes, T-568A (per reply #11 above), and T-568B where the connections are different.  You need to be sure both ends of your cable adhere to one or the other.

If the 2 ends are wired differently that would be one possible reason for your connection not working as expected.

Another possibility would be because of using stranded cable in the IDCs of your socket not making proper connection.

The best way to achieve what you're after would be to buy a length of solid cable and use a socket on each end.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

When starting out running ethernet cabling many moons ago I very quickly realised the essential nature of a dedicated tester.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@RobPN

I'm using T-568B as per the following site  http://www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/ch5-ethernet.htm

@Strat

If I was doing multiple cables then a tester would probably be a good idea but as I'm doing only one I already have a test rig - it's called the Router. The first attempt at crimping passed a cable tester and did work intermittently.

I think the next step is to speak to my neighbour and see what he advises (or borrow his tools to see if that makes a difference!!!).

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I suspect that the fundamental problem you are having is trying to fix either an IDC plug or socket, which is designed for single core cable to a multi strand patch cable. For a fixed installation you need single core cable.

Also, whilst a router will tell you if a cable is working, a tester, which is cheap as chips, will indicate that you have continuity through each core in turn and also that you have connected the ends in the correct order. In my view this is well worth a couple of quid as it will show you exactly where the problem lies and you will still have it after you fix these issues for testing any other ethernet cable.

To quote Henry Ford:

"If you need a machine and don't buy it, then you will ultimately find that you have paid for it and don't have it."

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

I accept the wall socket is better suited for solid cable (indeed re-reading the spec on the company website only mentions solid cable!!!).

The plugs I have tried to use are solid / stranded cable compatible. See

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat5e-ethernet-cables/41829-cat5e-rj45-patch-cables.html

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/rj45-connectors/9547-ccs-cat5e-utp-rj45-plug.html

The first cable crimp I tried passed a cable test using a tester borrowed from a neighbour. I'm going to speak to him again to see what he suggests next.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

bmc wrote:

The first cable crimp I tried passed a cable test using a tester borrowed from a neighbour. I'm going to speak to him again to see what he suggests next.

Brian

Fair enough. My point about buying your own cable tester is that if you had one you could have tested the cable and identified which core(s) had a poor connection or, not to be ignored with using multi-strand cables, whether a single strand from one of the cores had not been crimped and was causing a short circuit.

Whilst the crimping is still probably your problem a longer shot cause is a failure somewhere in the cable due to it being stretched or bent at too sharp a radius.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

Probably will put the "hex" on things by posting!!!

After taking a 3 week break I finally got around to trying my hand at crimping again yesterday. After 3 attempts (5 in total plus one attempt at a face place) I finally got a working cable which has given a solid connection for a day.

Just need to pin it to the wall now - a fine job for next year!!!

Brian